Kids in Trek (aka Recovering Wesley's battered reputation)

The Next Generation
Stevexoc
Crewman
Crewman

Kids in Trek (aka Recovering Wesley's battered reputation)

Post by Stevexoc »

I know that this has been a topic much discussed among TNG lovers, and while I must say that Wesley was incredibly annoying early on, I thought that the writers managed to salvage his character development somewhat. We might even say that they learned their lesson since Jake is such a better "Trek-child" than Wesley ever was (or will be). So what do people think about Wesley...and what about the handling of children in the Star Trek universe in general?
I know Hamlet, and what he said with irony I say with conviction. "What a piece of work is man! How noble in reason! How infinite in faculty. In form, in moving, how express and admirable. In action, how like an angel. In apprehension, how like a god!"
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

I think Wesley should wear a redshirt and go on every away mission. As for kids in general, they've done well since then.
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

In TOS they don't exist, in TNG there's Wesley, in DS9 there's Jake (and maybe Nog), and in Voyager there's Naomi Wildman.

Realistically the only two comparable ones are Wesley and Jake, and there's a definitive "yes" that the writers got it better second time round. Wesley is a very poorly written character - a sixteen year old boy can save a starship, when a crew with a combined age of around 20,000, full training at Starfleet academy, and a vast experience, including an android who has practically unlimited capability, and the best captain in Starfleet, are unable to. There's just no logic. No excuses at all. It's not like they can even say "you have to sometimes give some leeway to facts for entertainment". ITS NOT ENTERTAINING!

Rant over.

Jake is better than Wesley. In all ways.
Tiberius
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tiberius »

Wesley Sue Crusher?
Go and read my fan fic "The Hansen Diaries"! And leave comments!
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Wesley annoyed me because, as Thorin wrote, he seemed to be an ubermensch - he should have just been told to go stay in his quarters!

Jake, on the other hand, was written as a real pre-teen, then teen, boy. Sometimes annoying, sometimes scared, sometimes uncannily insightful. Instead of trying to make him a force on the show, Jake was allowed to be portrayed simply as Sisko's son.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Wesley over all was annoying. Not just what he did but his over all personality.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Wesley -> :phaser:

My opinions on him have been made clear...
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

Wesley, would have been alright, had he been a gawking, spotty, socially inept, inneundo spouting teen, with a squeaking undulating voice, rampant mood swings and a secret stash of 'penthouse featuring: the duras sisters' padds
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Wesley would have been allright if he had just been some kid.
Instead, we get Superman JR.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

No, what we got was another Adric. If only Final Mission had been a few years earlier and been more like Earthshock. :(
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Indeed.
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

:chopper: :chopper: :chopper:

Wesley ain't the one with the axe.
celeritas
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by celeritas »

i have to say, while i was not impressed with wesley, i was rather impressed with jake and nog. they could have turned out far worse...
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Indeed, it apears they actually took note of why everyone hated Wesley.
Captain Peabody
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Captain Peabody »

Ah...Wesley. The Jar-Jar Binks of Star Trek...

I think the main problem with him was that he really didn't act like a kid most of the time. It's like they took the diaulogue for Geordi, changed a few words, and stuck it in Wesley's mouth...with little or no regard for how kids actually think and talk. And, just when the writers started to get the hang of the character, he left the show! :x
But really, other than the occasional episode, he really wasn't that bad. Wil Wheaton's acting was likeable enough, and Wesley's guest appearances in later season were almost all good and well-written (except for Journey's End ; man, does that episode stink).
And yeah, Jake and Nog were 100% less annoying, for the main reason that they actually changed over the course of the show, as Jake became a hippy journalist dude, and Nog everyone's favorite Ensign. Yet another reason DS9 is the best Trek show out there... :)
"Lo, blessed are our ears for they have heard;
Yea, blessed are our eyes for they have seen:
Let the thunder break on man and beast and bird
And the lightning. It is something to have been."

-The Great Minimum, G.K. Chesterton