Ship of the Week: D'Deridex

The Next Generation
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

We don't hit civilians if we can avoid it. There is really no point.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

because the federation, thinks long term and likes to build coalitions of the willing and try to promote lasting peace
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

We don't hit civilians if we can avoid it. There is really no point.
Of course not. But the Federation would never even order an attack on enemy infrastructure if it was in the middle of a city. That's my point.
Sometimes, its nesasary to hit civilians acidently.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

The Federation always made raids on ship building during the war. For all we know civilias worked there.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

True, but if it was necassary to hit a military target in the middle of a civilian city, I'd bet they'd be unwilling to do it. They'd launch some sort of half-assed ground assault.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Rochey wrote:They'd launch some sort of half-assed ground assault.
Don't they do that who ever/where ever they're attacking? :lol:
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

That's the point. :wink:
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

They'd launch some sort of half-assed ground assault.

Isn't that the only kind they know of?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Er, Thorin said pretty much the same thing. :P
So I'll just repeat what I said to him:
That's the point. :wink:
:)
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mikey wrote:
They'd launch some sort of half-assed ground assault.

Isn't that the only kind they know of?
Nah, "half-assed assaults" are only launched by those particularly skilled in ground combat. Most of them just hide behind random packing crates taking potshots - no "assaulting" involved.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Yeah some half assed plan involving Kira trying to help her mortal enemies sounds about the normal plan.

Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Mikey wrote:That may be due to the fact that not as many Rom ships were included in the actions which we saw.

I agree with some of the others here that the design of the D'deridexis a little counterproductive; all that empty space leads to stretching the shields, etc. However, that empty space does add to the overall perceived size of the ship - and Romulans certainly appreciate gaining a psychological edge.

As far as using the D'dereidex for tasks requiring a ship with 1/4 of its size or abilities: it's been said before (mostly by G.K.) - and I agree 100% - it has constantly been ridiculous how many new and one-off Fed designs we see, and how relatively few ship design we see for other races.
Just to play devil's advocate I do not believe there is any particularly canon reason to believe that all shields of all designs are stronger covering a smaller ship. Especially since the Romulans use a power source which is entirely outside the traditional Starfleet matter/antimatter warp core. (I could be wrong but I seem to even recall that it was implied the power output of harnessing an artificial singularity was impressive.)
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

The artifical singularity is a method of power generation, not application. I don't believe that it was expressed anywhere that Romulan power generation methods were superior or more effective than M/AM reactors; indeed, before the artificial singularity, Scotty implied that Romulan power generation was inferior to Fed tech.

And you are correct, it was never stated that local shield strength was dependent on overall shield size; it seems to me, however, to be common sense that a given amount of power over "x" amount of area yields a greater quotient as "x" decreases.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tholian_Avenger
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tholian_Avenger »

- The D'deridex is normally deployed in multiples.

- Pre-Nemesis, the D'deridex is the main Romulan warship.

- The D'deridex is rarely used outside a combat role.

- The D'deridex is supported by common hull frigate series of medium range: Scoutships and Scienceships.

- The Star Empire borders no less than two major states and possibly four; thus the Romulans are more oriented towards military than exploration being likely hemmed in.

- The D'deridex is larger looking from the front angle than a diagnle.

The head appears more voluminous than a Galaxy but is a small part compared to the rest of the ship. I believe the huge loop wings are integral components to native Romulan Warp Field design. We never have seen the rumored massive firepower either. I suspect the Romulans know they are behind the UFP/KE curve and know the only way to compete is through building huge fleet pieces (they do not seem to have the resource problems the Klingons did prior to TNG).

I believe the D'deridex was used in the Narenda-Khitomer Offensive and likely confirmed the concerns of the Romulans. The D'deridex was still a considerable threat until the Dominion War and that is a worthy credit to its designers. I believe the D'deridex was designed to be used in fleet actions against worlds, stations, and logistics. I wouldn't be suprised if it carried enough Marines to act as a troop transport for planetary assault either.

Thoughts?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. vom Land der Ostern Blumen
Thol'yuns, hear your 'ssembly call you! ~ Up, lest worse than frost befall you! ~ To Webs! To Webs! To Webs, in Thol'ya! ~ Lo! All the tach'yun guards are lighted, let all hearts be now united! ~ To Webs ! To Webs! To Webs, in Thol'ya!

Advance the silk of Thol'ya Hurrah! Hurrah! ~ For Thol-i-a we take our stand, and live or die for Thol'ya! ~ To Webs! To Webs! and conquer peace for Thol'ya. ~ To Webs! To Webs and conquer peace for Thol'ya.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

I suspect the Romulans know they are behind the UFP/KE curve and know the only way to compete is through building huge fleet pieces
Sounds about right. Though this may have changed with their new ships.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.