Darmok

The Next Generation
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Re: Darmok

Post by thelordharry »

What happens if one person just wants to specifically talk about Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra? Will the other person automatically assume he's citing metaphor and get confused? :)
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and
the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to
know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is
to have succeeded.”
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

Nickswitz wrote:I don't think that it was that they we're speaking specifically in metaphor, I thought it was a UT thing, where that's what it got from what he said.
UT?

Would have been nice to see more tamarians after that ep know that they can probably comunicate at least at some grade.
I guess that if UFP had troubles comunicating with them, it's the same for everybody else so tamarians may have been a very isolated race until then.
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

One way that they could have developed them (which I think would have been more plausible) was that they use regular language for basic things, and metaphorical language for abstract and intellectual matters.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

Lazar wrote:One way that they could have developed them (which I think would have been more plausible) was that they use regular language for basic things, and metaphorical language for abstract and intellectual matters.
I don't think so because if that were the case then they should be able to choose to use regular lenguage when communicating with other civilizations and they don't do that.
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

SomosFuga wrote:I don't think so because if that were the case then they should be able to choose to use regular lenguage when communicating with other civilizations and they don't do that.
He's not suggesting that was the way it was. It's obvious that they didn't get non-metaphorical language at all, which of course begs the question as to where their language even came from to begin with. But that its one way they could have gone with it that might have made them more plausible and less the Ocampa of communication.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

PResumably they had a "proper" language long, long ago, but over time it got replaced with metaphors.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Rochey wrote:PResumably they had a "proper" language long, long ago, but over time it got replaced with metaphors.
Kinda like how modern language is being replaced with text-speak. :wink:

Drmk n Jld @ Tanagra.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

:laughroll:
Thats a pretty good analogy.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

We'll see if you're still laughing twenty years from now when a doctor asks you "wood U lik 2 termnate lif sprt on ur mom?" :lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Tsukiyumi wrote:We'll see if you're still laughing twenty years from now when a doctor asks you "wood wud U lik lyk 2 termnate lif sprt on 4 ur mom?" :lol:
Fixed. The original had too many letters. ;-)
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

:lol:

:bangwall:
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

me,myself and I wrote:
Tsukiyumi wrote:We'll see if you're still laughing twenty years from now when a doctor asks you "wood wud U lik lyk 2 termnate lif sprt on 4 ur mom?" :lol:
Fixed. The original had too many letters. ;-)

For some reason, I find that SOOO very disturbing.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Post by thelordharry »

Can we "The river Temarc, in winter" this thread now please? :)

Darmok TNG episode - Quotes

"Shaka, when the walls fell." (meaning Failure)
"Temba, his arms wide." (meaning Gift, or to Give)
"Mirab, his sails unfurled" (meaning travel)
"Sokath, his eyes uncovered" (understanding, revealing truth)
"Zinda, his face black, his eyes red" (war, violence)
"The river Temarc, in winter" (Stop, cease)
"Kiyazi's children, their faces wet" (death, mourning)
"Uzani, his army with fists open" (to lure the enemy away) - "...with fists closed" (to attack)
"Picard and Dathon at El Adrel" (a new metaphor added to the language at the end of the incident)
"Gilgamesh and Enkidu at Uruk" (Picard's metaphor about ancient Babylonian legends from Earth)
"Rai and Jiri at Lungha. Rai of Luwani, Luwani under two moons. Giri, or Ubaya. Ubaya of crossroads, at Lungha. Lungha, her skies gray" (greeting)
to have succeeded.”
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

You translated this, HOW????
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Post by thelordharry »

My UT works better than your Marky Lad :)
to have succeeded.”