You're a Captain,you get to pick your starship. Which class?

The Next Generation
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Re: You're a Captain,you get to pick your starship. Which class?

Post by stitch626 »

hence the inertial dampers must act differently in different sections of the ship. That's what you, and Teaos, are failing to understand.
I have not once said that the ID's act the same on the entire ship. Where did you get that from?

And nor has Teaos for that matter!
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

You never said that? Are you 100% sure?

Well well, what's this you said: "Evidence please? We have never seen the dampeners have a selective area, it seems to be an all or nothing thing across the ship."

The dampers do have different, independant systems.
Okay, let's simplify this:

Tell me, why have separate gravity plating to inertial dampers, when the inertial dampers can act as gravity plating?

And regardless, my very original point stands - gravity can be used to crush people into pancakes, regardless of what creates it.

Stitch - you said it when talking about inertial dampers being outside the ship, rather than throughout it.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

IDK if this has any bearing on anything, but the gravity plating can be turned on and off in certain sections. I wish I could remember which ep. I'm pretty sure it was TNG though. Sorry I can't provide true evidence, but I'm pretty sure it can be shut off in certain sections, well at least decks.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Stitch - you said it when talking about inertial dampers being outside the ship, rather than throughout it.
But I never said that their effect wasn't throughout the ship. You seem to have a hard time listening.
By the very nature of the IDF, the effect would extend throughout the ship.
"Evidence please? We have never seen the dampeners have a selective area, it seems to be an all or nothing thing across the ship."
And I certainly never said this, unless your referring to Teaos, in which case never mind.

I have never even implied that it was an all or none.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

stitch626 wrote: But I never said that their effect wasn't throughout the ship. You seem to have a hard time listening.
Obviously you meant their effect was throughout the ship, however that is far from saying every place on the ship must have separate ID systems. If they're all placed on the outside there is only so much variation that can be managed in a ship - mainly if the ship is going straight and direct without ever turning. They would have to be through the ship for any turn to allow different counter-accelerations to the very different torques.
"
And I certainly never said this, unless your referring to Teaos, in which case never mind.
That was Teaos.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Thorin wrote:
stitch626 wrote: But I never said that their effect wasn't throughout the ship. You seem to have a hard time listening.
Obviously you meant their effect was throughout the ship, however that is far from saying every place on the ship must have separate ID systems. If they're all placed on the outside there is only so much variation that can be managed in a ship - mainly if the ship is going straight and direct without ever turning. They would have to be through the ship for any turn to allow different counter-accelerations to the very different torques.
Ah I see. I can understand this I guess.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

IDK if this has any bearing on anything, but the gravity plating can be turned on and off in certain sections. I wish I could remember which ep. I'm pretty sure it was TNG though. Sorry I can't provide true evidence, but I'm pretty sure it can be shut off in certain sections, well at least decks.
You're right, but that's not what's in dispute.

What's being argued is whether
1) The gravity plates can be turned up high enough to kill people.
2) Whether the inertial dampners can be turned off in specific areas of the ship.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Sorry for the double post, but I'd like to point out that in ENT we see the gravity plates being turned up high enough to crush a Gorn into the ground. Given that they're far stronger than humans, I think we can infer from this instance that they can be turned up high enough to at least imobilise a human.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Yip that was in "in a mirror Darkly" Part 2 I think...

Ended up flattening the Gorn and I think ripping down celling panels and tubes.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Nope, just flattened him. Skip to 5:00.
When the gravity plates go on, they knock down a piece of cable, but that was already damaged and hanging loose.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Ah thanks. I could remember a bit of tubing swinging around.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Rochey wrote:You're right, but that's not what's in dispute.

What's being argued is whether
1) The gravity plates can be turned up high enough to kill people.
2) Whether the inertial dampners can be turned off in specific areas of the ship.
I thought so, Teaos said that it couldn't, I was just saying that it could, and it apparently can crush a person cause a Gorn was at least immobilized, then archer shot him like 10x, so I think that the Gorn wasn't crushed, just immobilized. If that's the case then if they were immobilized would there be any way to kill them while they are immobilized, if there isn't then it would be pointless to do that because it probably is very taxing on the gravity plating.
The world ended

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I thought so, Teaos said that it couldn't, I was just saying that it could, and it apparently can crush a person cause a Gorn was at least immobilized, then archer shot him like 10x, so I think that the Gorn wasn't crushed, just immobilized.
Gorn are quite a bit stronger than humans. What it takes to bring down a Gorn may be enough to kill a human.

And additionaly, the Gorn may have died soon after. That much pressure being put on the body simply can't be good for your breathing. Even if it didn't die immediately, it's quite possible that the Gorn would have suffocated within a few minutes. Pilots in modern aircraft can have trouble breathing if they pull too many G's, prolonged exposure to several G's could very well be fatal.
If that's the case then if they were immobilized would there be any way to kill them while they are immobilized, if there isn't then it would be pointless to do that because it probably is very taxing on the gravity plating.
Incorrect. Even if you could only immobilise them, and not kill them, it would still be incredibly useful. Why? Because although your enemy is not dead, he's not interfering with the ship's functions, sabotaging equipment or killing your crew. In a worse-case scenario, you could simply leave them pinned to the deck until the battle's over, then figure something out later.

And what evidence is there that increasing the gravity can cause problems with the systems?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Without getting into the effects or the mechanism of the ID's vs. the plating, there is evidence that the two are not actually one single un-isolated system: how many times have we heard "inertial dampers offline" or some such, yet still seen the AG still in operation?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Rochey wrote:And what evidence is there that increasing the gravity can cause problems with the systems?
None that is canon, I was just saying that it would probably tax the system because its using a lot of energy, I think, I don't really know how it works though, so it might no tax it at all.
The world ended