You're a Captain,you get to pick your starship. Which class?

The Next Generation
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Re: You're a Captain,you get to pick your starship. Which class?

Post by Thorin »

stitch626 wrote:I never said that Newtons were the unit for gravity. I said they were the unit for gravitational force, as they are the unit for all forces.
In reality, gravity has no units, it is the applied effects of gravity that have units.
"The unit for Gravity is Newtons" - erm, that's precisely what you said. So you're talking about the force of attraction, I'm talking about field strength. What's your point? Mine is definitely more relevant in this situation.
Since when? A gravitational field is formed by a mass, so I fail to see how a mass can be irrelevant.
In this context, only the gravitational field strength is relevant (and, indeed, is generally far more relevant than the Newtonian force in most contexts). The mass of the people/ship etc doesn't matter - why? Because clearly the grav plating/IDs don't use conventional mass to create the artificial gravity.

Basically, in layman's terms, when you're talking about gravity, you're really talking about the gravitational field. The unit of the gravitational field strength is N/KG, ie an acceleration.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Thorin wrote:
stitch626 wrote:I never said that Newtons were the unit for gravity. I said they were the unit for gravitational force, as they are the unit for all forces.
In reality, gravity has no units, it is the applied effects of gravity that have units.
"The unit for Gravity is Newtons" - erm, that's precisely what you said. So you're talking about the force of attraction, I'm talking about field strength. What's your point? Mine is definitely more relevant in this situation.
I guess you missed this:
Me, a in the same post you referenced wrote:Edit: Sorry, correction, Newtons is the force due to gravity, not gravity itself.
In reality gravity has no units, only its properties do.
Thorin wrote:
Since when? A gravitational field is formed by a mass, so I fail to see how a mass can be irrelevant.
In this context, only the gravitational field strength is relevant (and, indeed, is generally far more relevant than the Newtonian force in most contexts). The mass of the people/ship etc doesn't matter - why? Because clearly the grav plating/IDs don't use conventional mass to create the artificial gravity.

Basically, in layman's terms, when you're talking about gravity, you're really talking about the gravitational field. The unit of the gravitational field strength is N/KG, ie an acceleration.
Ah, I get what your saying.

Now, how do you know that it is an acceleration (or artificial gravitational field) that is being created and not an artificial mass.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

The fact people are being attracted to it means one would immediately (and correctly) assume that there is an acceleration towards the artificial gravity (regardless of whether it's the inertial dampers, or grav plating). As I said, the fact there is a mass of the person walking, or an unconvential creation of 'gravity' by the IDs/grav plating is completely irrelevant in this case. Basically, and generally, gravity = gravitational field = N/KG. That is an acceleration. Besides, even if you did mean a force (which, if you specified so, you wouldn't be technically wrong - although far out of context), would still mean that the ID's produce a proportional force to the grav plating in terms of its function.

Regardless, the gravitational field strength is an acceleration, and either way, the grav plating and inertial dampers do identical jobs and require similar placements throughout the ship, regardless of the fact one is far stronger than the other.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

I don't feel like arguing with you anymore Thorin. I'm not even sure what I'm arguing about anymore. I'll concede.
Thanks for the discussion though.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.