BoBW nit?

The Next Generation
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

BoBW nit?

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

In this ep, a single Borg cube destroys an entire fleet of Starships; yet the E-D survives extended contact with it. Granted that the E-D survived the first battle because the Borg wanted to capture Picard, but in the next battle when RIker was in command, there was no notable damage inflicted on the Enterprise by the cube (it was said to be the very firing of the deflector beam that caused the internal damage that temporarily grounded the ship). Surely the Borg would have no reason to 'go easy' on this ship once they no longer had any interest in a crewman? However much more powerful the GCS was compared to its fellow starships in its day, this difference is meaningless compared to a Borg cube!

Once Riker did capture Picard/Locutus, of course, it was a clear bit of idiotic oversight by the Borg not to see the security risk to them (but then this is Trek we're speaking of...)
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: BoBW nit?

Post by Tyyr »

I think part of it is look when the Ent-D is engaging it, solo. Unlike the fleet at Wolf 359 its always engaging singly. To the Borg an individual is not a threat.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

Tyyr wrote:I think part of it is look when the Ent-D is engaging it, solo. Unlike the fleet at Wolf 359 its always engaging singly. To the Borg an individual is not a threat.
ya but the GCS's thousands of people wouldn't be viewed as an individual to the Borg, it would be viewed as more like a metropolitan center.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

A thousand people would still be pretty miniscule compared to the Cube's possible crew compliment.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Tyyr wrote:I think part of it is look when the Ent-D is engaging it, solo. Unlike the fleet at Wolf 359 its always engaging singly. To the Borg an individual is not a threat.
Another possibility is that the Borg were being economical. The only times they engaged the E-D were when they wanted to capture Picard, after they were knocked out of warp by Shelby's team, and when the E-D blocked their path to rescue Picard. On all the occasions after Picard had been captured they broke off the action as soon as possible and resumed course for Earth. Why should they waste energy destroying starships when that wasn't their primary goal? At Wolf 359 not only were they faced with a serious threat to the cube, but forty ships would be far more effective at blocking their course than the E-D alone.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

The E-D's engagements mostly consisted of pecking at the cube for a few minutes and then running away. They often used distraction tactics, tricks like the antimatter spread, etc.

The Wolf fleet went toe to toe and tried to stop the cube. Very different situation, very different outcome.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

The only part that bugged me was at the very end, while Data was trying to sabatoge the cube through Picard's link, the Borg seemed to finally have had enough of the Ent. They grabbed them, drained their shields, and employed the cutting beam...which seemed to do almost nothing. The first time they used that thing, they cut several decks out of the saucer in 2 or 3 seconds, yet they have that thing blasting away into the engineering section for at least half a minute. They should have cut the Ent in half before Data put them all to sleep.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye, that always seemed a bit off to me.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Looked to me like they were trying to cut there way to the warp core. Maybe the "reinforcing" of the area bought them some time. But why didn't Riker evacuate those sections when the hull breached?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

I've got this ep on dvd, I'll look at it again and see what I can find out.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Mark wrote:Looked to me like they were trying to cut there way to the warp core. Maybe the "reinforcing" of the area bought them some time. But why didn't Riker evacuate those sections when the hull breached?
You might be on to something there, Mark.

Staplic, could you let us know where the beam hit?
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

Okay three things I've learned.

1. The reason they didn't go after Picard when they took him back, was b/c they didn't think the Enterprise had the means to use him like they did. Data came up with that plan after studying Locutus. As soon as Data made contact, the Borg came back around to face off against the Enterprise.

2. The cutting beam was only in effect for 10-20 seconds before Data shut them off, so it's not like they could have completely shredded the Enterprise.

3. As mark though it was in the Engineering section, starting in about the middle of the actual drive section and cut up along the base of the neck of the ship.

EDIT: It was cut along the yellow line here.

Last edited by Lt. Staplic on Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Lt. Staplic wrote:2. The cutting beam was only in effect for 10-20 seconds before Data shut them off, so it's not like they could have completely shredded the Enterprise.
That's a pretty long ass time to have any sort of energy weapon hitting, especially as IIRC, the Ent didn't have shields at the time. Whatever the Borg were trying to do with that beam, they should have been able to accomplish in the first five seconds at most.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

Lighthawk wrote:
Lt. Staplic wrote:2. The cutting beam was only in effect for 10-20 seconds before Data shut them off, so it's not like they could have completely shredded the Enterprise.
That's a pretty long ass time to have any sort of energy weapon hitting, especially as IIRC, the Ent didn't have shields at the time. Whatever the Borg were trying to do with that beam, they should have been able to accomplish in the first five seconds at most.
ya, but IIRC someone was saying something about them having it on for a minute or two, so I wanted to clarify that.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

As opposed to when they sliced out a piece of the saucer in the first encounter, that was pretty damned quick.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.