Starfleet response time

The Next Generation
Capt. Jethro
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Starfleet response time

Post by Capt. Jethro »

Here's something that I've been wondering about. Would Starfleet have a patrol ship posted in every system, or near enough for a quick response, that is part of the Federation? I realize the Soyuz class served in that capacity at one point in time. But given that fact that it would take around 12 hours for a ship at warp 9 to travel about 2 ly. (I hope I used the calculator correctly) IMHO that's not acceptable. There would be a need for a response time in a matter of a a few hours. And you can't have a Sovereign or GCS readily available all the time to get there faster.
American by birth, southern by the grace of God!
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Starfleet response time

Post by Mikey »

There have been hints and rumors. Paris' comment about some sort of quasi-civil, coast-guard type of service indicates something of that nature; and, like you say, the Soyuz-class was conjectured to be some sort of system patrol craft. Personally, I think this sort of job is perfect for all the culturally-specific types of ships we never see; that is, Vulcan (not Fed) ships to patrol Vulcan's sector, Andorian ships to patrol Andor's area, etc.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

Mikey wrote:Paris' comment about some sort of quasi-civil, coast-guard type of service indicates something of that nature;
Although in that case it was actually a maritime service that he was referring to.
Personally, I think this sort of job is perfect for all the culturally-specific types of ships we never see; that is, Vulcan (not Fed) ships to patrol Vulcan's sector, Andorian ships to patrol Andor's area, etc.
Yeah, I think that for the major Federation members, that would probably be a good role for their own separate space navies.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Capt. Jethro
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Capt. Jethro »

Lazar wrote:Yeah, I think that for the major Federation members, that would probably be a good role for their own separate space navies.
Good point but would the ships be designed by the respective systems or would they use frigates or destroyers that had been designed by Starfleet? Perhaps using Centaur or Freedom classes for example and manned by the local military.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Capt. Jethro wrote:Good point but would the ships be designed by the respective systems or would they use frigates or destroyers that had been designed by Starfleet? Perhaps using Centaur or Freedom classes for example and manned by the local military.
My original thought:
Mikey, two posts ago, wrote: Personally, I think this sort of job is perfect for all the culturally-specific types of ships we never see; that is, Vulcan (not Fed) ships to patrol Vulcan's sector, Andorian ships to patrol Andor's area, etc.
as Bull offed Custer
Capt. Jethro
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Capt. Jethro »

Mikey wrote:My original thought:
Mikey, two posts ago, wrote: Personally, I think this sort of job is perfect for all the culturally-specific types of ships we never see; that is, Vulcan (not Fed) ships to patrol Vulcan's sector, Andorian ships to patrol Andor's area, etc.
Yeah, I forgot to 'quote' that response.

Mikey wrote:There have been hints and rumors. Paris' comment about some sort of quasi-civil, coast-guard type of service indicates something of that nature.
A type of coast guard would make sense. I somehow had this notion that the Federation would be all encompassing, but that may be a bit of a stretch.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Just look at my various ship posts with system patrol crafts and the like and you'll see I fully advocate a local "coast guard" made up of small patrol ships. The Soyuz was said to fill this, and if you look at various extended universe stuff, authors have hinted that Starfleet sells ships to various Federation planets to be used as home defense craft (Enterprise-A was scheduled to become one). We don't see it on screen, but there's nothing in canon suggesting this is impossible. When you take into account Paris' hints, the Soyuz, and the amount of ships that we see on a regular basis, this is wholly reasonable.

I would also imagine certain areas (core worlds, worlds bordering an enemy territory, high-resource worlds) would get more ship power than Bummfuck Zeta VI and its colony of 1000 Rigelian farmers. As much as I hate to say it, there's likely some sort of "live at your own risk" to any colonist settling on a remote world or unimportant world, where 12+ hours is seen as acceptible response time.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Capt. Jethro
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Capt. Jethro »

Bryan Moore wrote:Just look at my various ship posts with system patrol crafts and the like and you'll see I fully advocate a local "coast guard" made up of small patrol ships. The Soyuz was said to fill this, and if you look at various extended universe stuff, authors have hinted that Starfleet sells ships to various Federation planets to be used as home defense craft (Enterprise-A was scheduled to become one). We don't see it on screen, but there's nothing in canon suggesting this is impossible. When you take into account Paris' hints, the Soyuz, and the amount of ships that we see on a regular basis, this is wholly reasonable.

I would also imagine certain areas (core worlds, worlds bordering an enemy territory, high-resource worlds) would get more ship power than Bummfuck Zeta VI and its colony of 1000 Rigelian farmers. As much as I hate to say it, there's likely some sort of "live at your own risk" to any colonist settling on a remote world or unimportant world, where 12+ hours is seen as acceptible response time.
Yeah I remember the book, IIRC it was "Ashes of Eden" by the Shat. But the phasers were removed and disrupters were installed. Showing that some technology is off limits.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Bryan Moore wrote:As much as I hate to say it, there's likely some sort of "live at your own risk" to any colonist settling on a remote world or unimportant world, where 12+ hours is seen as acceptible response time.
I'd go along with that. Further, I'd say it's a fully acceptable assumed risk if the colony was isolated from possibly dangerous fronts.
as Bull offed Custer
Black Jesus
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Black Jesus »

Space is big. One can't reasonably expect Starfleet to be two hours from every point in Federation space unless there is a starship stationed every half light year. The numbers just don't support a fleet of that size or complexity. Yet, it's no different than the present day open ocean. Think of the large international fleet that is patrolling off the east coast of Africa to stymie piracy in the region. Ships are attacked and boarded despite the amount of vessels in the region. This is due to the fact that the ocean is big and it takes time to get from point A to point B. Craft operating in the area understand the risks but venture out alone anyways.

When Paris spoke of the naval patrol I thought it was pretty obvious that he was speaking of a maritime agency, as supported by this stub from Memory Alpha: http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Federation_Naval_Patrol Though the idea of member planets having their own reserve force seems appropriate.

Not to spell check the internet or anything, but one forms the possessive singular of nouns by adding apostrophe s. So one would write Charles's friends, or Burns's poems or Paris's comment. The exceptions are possessives of ancient proper names ending -es, -is, the possessive Black Jesus', and such forms as for conscience' sake, for righteousness' sake.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Starfleet would have to be pretty foolish not to have some sort of patrol force for systems, if only to keep pirates and smugglers in check.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
USSEnterprise
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by USSEnterprise »

The problem with leaving systems to have their own defense forces is what if they don't have the expertise to make such craft. The Angosian for example, were prime Federation candidates, but they didn't have any craft to catch a damn sublight transport. The Vulcans and core worlds would probably be able handle their own defenses, but other Federation worlds may not be able to.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Rochey wrote:Starfleet would have to be pretty foolish not to have some sort of patrol force for systems, if only to keep pirates and smugglers in check.
Starfleet? Foolish? :o Perish the thought!
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Common sense is against regulations!
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Was waiting for that. :lol:
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"