Worf and AWOL Klingondom

The Next Generation
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Worf and AWOL Klingondom

Post by Bryan Moore »

Am I the only one that is bothered by Worf being given a tremendous amount of liberty to go off and do Klingon things despite his committments to Starfleet? Between his dishonor, resignation and coming back, the trip to the prison planet, and the Boreth Monastery/Kahless incident, Picard enables him to run off and do whatever his honor requires with usually a "But come back when you're done" or "You went to far, bad Worfie."

It seems like this stretches the limits of any military order, and Sisko, while not as guilty, tended to do the same thing.

Imagine the chaos this would produce on the Titan if every member of a different species got to go off any time he/she had a cultural quandry? "Red Alert, all hands to the bridge!" "Cannot comply, all Beta Shift on leave" "Drat."
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Worf and AWOL Klingondom

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Yeah, I always thought that was odd, myself.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Yeah, it's idiotic.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

It was pretty annoying, I rationalized the temple bit as him being on leave but it's hard to explain away the other stuff.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I never understood it. The multiculturalism has to have a logical limit. Can you see the weapons officer of a Ticonderoga class cruiser being allowed to run off to Russia whenever he felt like it? He was a Klingon biologically. He was a Federation citizen and a Starfleet officer though. Would have been nice if he'd acted like the last two meant anything.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Agreed, but then again what we think of as military discipline and protocol has never stood for much in 'Trek. Who here can tell me what a Starfleet salute looks like? Me neither. There have been many times, involving many different people, that have made us all say, "How is it possible that he didn't land in the brig for that?"
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I always wondered why the Klingons didn't just make Worf disappear. The guy has intimate knowledge of the latest and greatest Federation military technology and they just let him come and go?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I think that just proves what I've been saying for a long time. The UFP has only survived because its enemies are even more moronic than they are.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Oddly enough I penned a line very much like that three days ago.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Pfft, I've been saying that since day one on the forum. :P
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Worf ALWAYS got special liberties. Lets see;
He defied regulations with his long hair and pony tail.
He added his baldric to his uniform, thus altering the very concept of what a uniform is. He killed Klingon nationals while on duty (Duras).
He didn't like Picards orders so he resigns so he can do as he likes, then gets rehired as soon as he's done playing soldier of the Empire.
And the list goes on.......
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mark wrote:He defied regulations with his long hair and pony tail.
Not necessarily - we don't know what Starfleet's regulation haircut is.
He added his baldric to his uniform, thus altering the very concept of what a uniform is.
Again, that depends on what Starfleet's uniform code is, and what degree of variation is permitted. The baldric could count as a foreign decoration, which are permitted in modern armed forces (although not AFAIK as part of normal duty uniform).
He killed Klingon nationals while on duty (Duras).
Which it's not certain Picard, Starfleet or the Federation could do much about, given that Duras was killed aboard his own ship, out of the Federation's jurisdiction.
He didn't like Picards orders so he resigns so he can do as he likes, then gets rehired as soon as he's done playing soldier of the Empire.
There's a precedent for that
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Seafort wrote:
Not necessarily - we don't know what Starfleet's regulation haircut is.
Fair enough, we don't "know". However, taking into account the fact that Worf was the ONLY long haired male officer we've seen in mainstream Trek, I don't think it's a stretch to assume he's the exception, not the rule.
Again, that depends on what Starfleet's uniform code is, and what degree of variation is permitted. The baldric could count as a foreign decoration, which are permitted in modern armed forces (although not AFAIK as part of normal duty uniform).
What is the concept of UNI-form again? :lol: The baldric is an accessery, not some sort of medal. When have we seen a uniform exception like that before or since?
Which it's not certain Picard, Starfleet or the Federation could do much about, given that Duras was killed aboard his own ship, out of the Federation's jurisdiction.
Well, the fact that he defied Starfleet regulations, and went AWOL to kill Duras gives Starfleet juristicion. Also, Worf is a FEDERATION citzen, not a Klingon one. Worf is subject to FEDERATION law which frowns on revenge killings

As for your precedent, I'll accept that.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mark wrote:Fair enough, we don't "know". However, taking into account the fact that Worf was the ONLY long haired male officer we've seen in mainstream Trek, I don't think it's a stretch to assume he's the exception, not the rule.
Nonetheless, the fact that Worf has his haircut (or lack thereof) is in itself some evidence that Starfleet's regulations are somewhat less rigorous than those of a modern military.
What is the concept of UNI-form again?
To have as many possible different types of clothing within a single organisation, if you take the British army as your example. :P
The baldric is an accessery, not some sort of medal. When have we seen a uniform exception like that before or since?
Bajoran earrings. True, it was a plot point in Ensign Ro, but the fact that Picard was able to authorise her continued wearing of it, and the fact that Lt Sito and Commander Kira also wore their earrings shows that there's a considerable degree of latitude in the regulations (or Riker was being a pompous idiot again).
Well, the fact that he defied Starfleet regulations, and went AWOL to kill Duras gives Starfleet juristicion.
IIRC, Worf was off-duty when he killed Duras, and the fact that Picard didn't charge him with any offence (despite being somewhat pissed off) suggests there was nothing he could charge him with.
Also, Worf is a FEDERATION citzen, not a Klingon one. Worf is subject to FEDERATION law which frowns on revenge killings
Irrelevant. If I lived in the US, with a green card and resident status, I would be allowed to carry a handgun, provided I did so in accordance with locals laws, despite the fact that I'm a British subject, and it's illegal here.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Seafort wrote:
Nonetheless, the fact that Worf has his haircut (or lack thereof) is in itself some evidence that Starfleet's regulations are somewhat less rigorous than those of a modern military.
Or that he was given special permission for whatever reason (he's Worf after all).......
To have as many possible different types of clothing within a single organisation, if you take the British army as your example.
:laughroll: Well, then Starfleet succeeded admirably :lol:
Bajoran earrings. True, it was a plot point in Ensign Ro, but the fact that Picard was able to authorise her continued wearing of it, and the fact that Lt Sito and Commander Kira also wore their earrings shows that there's a considerable degree of latitude in the regulations (or Riker was being a pompous idiot again).
Well, while Riker was in his mood he DID state that it was non-regulation. It furthers my point, of exceptions being made. Those exceptions undermine the entire idea.
IIRC, Worf was off-duty when he killed Duras, and the fact that Picard didn't charge him with any offence (despite being somewhat pissed off) suggests there was nothing he could charge him with.
I thought he was on duty at the time (didn't he find her body while in the course of some duty or other?) And just because Picard DIDN'T charge him with something doesn't mean he COULDN'T have. When I was in the Army, we got into a barfight with some Marines. My CO COULD have charged me, but chose admin punishment instead. Worf WAS one of Picard's favorites, after all.
Irrelevant. If I lived in the US, with a green card and resident status, I would be allowed to carry a handgun, provided I did so in accordance with locals laws, despite the fact that I'm a British subject, and it's illegal here.
And how is that the same? If a soldier goes to another country and commits a crime, even if the other county's officials decide not to press charges, he's still subject to the UCMJ.