Episode Discussion: Chain of Command Parts 1 and 2

The Next Generation
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Episode Discussion: Chain of Command Parts 1 and 2

Post by Graham Kennedy »

It's established that Riker can fly, but I don't think it's ever before or since been established that he is some great hotshot pilot, let alone the best on the ship. The writers kind of dropped that out of nowhere to force Jellico to go ask him to do the mission.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Capt. Jethro
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Capt. Jethro »

I really didn't care for Jellico, his command style isn't the type I would like to serve under. Riker described him perfectly prior to his volunteering for the shuttle run. But I will say the character did get things done.

Great episode, and excellent acting by Stewart during the interrogation scenes. One of his bests.
American by birth, southern by the grace of God!
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

The only problem with Jellico is he was a soldier born and bred, not a UFP pussy. Other then his begging Riker to fly the mission, his command style was just how it should have been.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

I think him asking Riker to fly the mission was his best moment myself - if Riker was the best man, even if by a fraction, then he should have been the one to fly the mission. It was a high risk mission, with very high stakes.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Then it should have been an order. No CO should ever have to ask his men to do anything. You know the job, you know the risks, you signed the dotted line. Do the job or go to the brig. The whole "God Riker" thing was just bullshit.
Capt. Jethro
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Capt. Jethro »

kostmayer wrote:I think him asking Riker to fly the mission was his best moment myself - if Riker was the best man, even if by a fraction, then he should have been the one to fly the mission. It was a high risk mission, with very high stakes.
Deepcrush wrote:Then it should have been an order. No CO should ever have to ask his men to do anything. You know the job, you know the risks, you signed the dotted line. Do the job or go to the brig. The whole "God Riker" thing was just bullshit.
A sign of a good commander is to use any source available to you in order to get the job done. To get Riker to 'volunteer' I think that was Jellico's only way to try and somewhat heal things between him and Riker, but it was never gonna be a love fest.

Both characters were professionals, albeit with different styles of command.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Capt. Jethro wrote:A sign of a good commander is to use any source available to you in order to get the job done. To get Riker to 'volunteer' I think that was Jellico's only way to try and somewhat heal things between him and Riker, but it was never gonna be a love fest.

Both characters were professionals, albeit with different styles of command.
Riker did volunteer, the day he enlisted. The only healing that should have been needed was Rikers sore ass from riding a prison transport back to Earth. The ep was great until they had Riker take the bullshit morale high ground because he betrayed his command... :roll:
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Like I said, OOU the scene was supposed to represent some nebulous moral victory on Riker's part in getting Jellico to ask, rather than order. In reality, it just made Riker look like both an insubordinate ass and a petulant child.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Indeed, the whole thing was ridiculous. Captains order people to do things, not ask nicely.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I don't have much to add except I agree with you all. Riker was a pompous ass here.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Jellico lost his temper and relieved Riker of duty. I think asking him to fly the mission rather then ordering was the right thing to do.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

But why? Jellico was the Captain, and they were engaged in what seemed like it was about to become a battlezone. Jellico comes up with a plan to save Starfleet lives, and Riker digs his heels in and says "Ask me nicely"? Nice command candidate there. :roll:
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

kostmayer wrote:Jellico lost his temper and relieved Riker of duty. I think asking him to fly the mission rather then ordering was the right thing to do.
Uh, he could just reinstate him and send him on the mission.

Mind you the whole concept was absolutely retarded, you have a ship with over a 1000 people on board and you don't have anyone who's job it is to fly shuttles and it just so happens that Riker (who we rarely see pilot one) is the best. :roll:

That's like having the Captain of a CVN driving around an F-14, despite having a whole Air Wing.
But why? Jellico was the Captain, and they were engaged in what seemed like it was about to become a battlezone. Jellico comes up with a plan to save Starfleet lives, and Riker digs his heels in and says "Ask me nicely"? Nice command candidate there.
Considering that Worf's chances for higher command were killed because he opted to save his wife's life rather then finish the mission, Riker should have had similar repercussions or cashiered.
Capt. Jethro
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Capt. Jethro »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:I don't have much to add except I agree with you all. Riker was a pompous ass here.
Drama, can't have space battles with the Cardies without drama. Draws chicks to the show.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Yup, nothing sexier then a fat bearded git with a large ego. :lol: