Episode Discussion: Chain of Command Parts 1 and 2

The Next Generation
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Episode Discussion: Chain of Command Parts 1 and 2

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I didn't like Jellico much, but Riker behaved very poorly.

Take the shift change. Riker handled it terribly. Jellico gave him an order. In preparing to implement it, he found that it would cause major problems. So he held off on implementing it and took the gripes to the captian. Reasonable enough... but it puts him in a position where he's essentially disobeyed an order, or at least looks like he is.

What he SHOULD have done is say "the shift change is ready to go and delta shift will be on duty as ordered sir, but we have had a lot of issues with the changeover. Here's a list of them for you to look over. If anything strikes you as particularly problematic, everyone is ready to revert back to the old system at your command."

That way he's obeyed the order, but he's also done his job by notifying the captain of potential problems, and shown that he's ready and willing to implement whatever solution the captain wants to. That's how a real subordinate does things, IMO.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Agreed 100%. Jellico may have been a pompous ass - especially compared to Picard's style - but he's the captain. What he says goes, regardless of whether he's a guy you'd invite out for a few beers. In addition to insubordination, on a personal level Riker just acted like a petulant child with an unpopular babysitter - "You're not my mom, so I don't have to listen to you!" The scene about him forcing Jellico to "ask nicely" for Riker topilot the shuttle sortie was obviously meant to show Riker having a moral victory over Jellico, but it just made him look like a poor officer and an unconscionable a**hole.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mikey wrote:The scene about him forcing Jellico to "ask nicely" for Riker topilot the shuttle sortie was obviously meant to show Riker having a moral victory over Jellico, but it just made him look like a poor officer and an unconscionable a**hole.
In my mind it showed the opposite - that Jellico was prepared to swallow his pride and ask Riker to fly the mission, and Riker's response was gloating about that.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Mikey wrote:The scene about him forcing Jellico to "ask nicely" for Riker topilot the shuttle sortie was obviously meant to show Riker having a moral victory over Jellico, but it just made him look like a poor officer and an unconscionable a**hole.
In my mind it showed the opposite - that Jellico was prepared to swallow his pride and ask Riker to fly the mission, and Riker's response was gloating about that.
That's what I meant - that it made Riker look like a poor officer and an uncoscionable a**hole.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Indeed, Riker should have been more respectful of the fact that Jellico was willing to ask for his help. Jellico didn't need to, Geordi had already told him he could fly the mission.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

LaForge should have been the pilot and Riker in the brig under charges. Done deal.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

At what point before this did Riker become such a great pilot to begin with?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Titan's Turn wasn't mentioned before, but the fact that Riker could fly came up in "The Outcast" and "The Host". Those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

But isn't piloting a skill MOST Starfleeters have? Who'd have thought he'd be a top gun
steamrunner
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by steamrunner »

I agree. There didn't seem to be a shortage of crew with piloting skills...hell, even Wesley could do it :roll:

Seems to me there were multiple episodes and many novels making note of Riker's exceptional piloting skills...
"If? If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle..."
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Mark wrote:But isn't piloting a skill MOST Starfleeters have? Who'd have thought he'd be a top gun
I think the difference is that Riker (and La Forge and Jellico for that matter) can actually fly a shuttle, rather than simply programming a destination and pressing go.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Yeah, that seems to be a far rarer skill. Paris was considered odd when he wanted the Delta Flyer to have conventional controls, for example.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Captain Seafort wrote:I think the difference is that Riker (and La Forge and Jellico for that matter) can actually fly a shuttle, rather than simply programming a destination and pressing go.
Yeah, Geordi would never do such a thing.

Sorry, but that scene still cracks me up.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

:laughroll:
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral