What's the most improbable aspect of the Trek universe?

The Next Generation
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: What's the most improbable aspect of the Trek universe?

Post by Mikey »

Right - IIRC, the Riker incident had something to do with a combination of the transporter function and some property unique to the planet.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Hell, you could probably throw in all sorts of stuff into it as well. Direction and speed of the wind, if Riker moved slightly at the time, how fast the ship was going, the temperature, etc. There're a shitload of a factors that may very well affect how the transportation thing goes.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

The transporters are just magic and like all magic they can do whatever the hell you want them to as the story demands a cheap and stupid plot device.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Sionnach Glic wrote:Hell, you could probably throw in all sorts of stuff into it as well. Direction and speed of the wind, if Riker moved slightly at the time, how fast the ship was going, the temperature, etc. There're a shitload of a factors that may very well affect how the transportation thing goes.
The only particular conditions observed were partial reflectivity of the the atmosphere replicate that (if possible) and you have a cloning machine.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

It's been a while so I may be wrong, but I thought it was mentioned that the atmospheric phenomenon was peculiar to that planet.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Set up a station in orbit of the planet to begin experimenting?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Post by thelordharry »

What I find the most improbable aspect of Trek is that the human race could ever become that enlightened.
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and
the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to
know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is
to have succeeded.”
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Me too. I think WW3 may have caused a chain reaction that Cochrane's warp fight only accelerated.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

McAvoy wrote:Me too. I think WW3 may have caused a chain reaction that Cochrane's warp fight only accelerated.
Along with First Contact. Might be improbable... but something I'd love to see happen in RL.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

thelordharry wrote:What I find the most improbable aspect of Trek is that the human race could ever become that enlightened.
Sorry, I don't see Trek humans as much better then RL humans. They are ahead of us in someways but by our debates here we've clearly seen they've fallen behind us in other ways.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I'd agree with that. Maybe it's the humans on Earth that are high and mighty but other humans outside Sol, would be the familiar humans that we know. Flaws and all.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
The piman
Chief petty officer
Chief petty officer

Post by The piman »

I think this is highly probable. is it becasue of WW3 that humans on Earth decided to work more together, hence the dramatic increase in amazing technology in a relatively short amount of time?
Be excellent to one another...
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

The deflector dish. Seriously, is there anything one of these can't be rewired to do? The ultimate ship would be covered in nothing but deflector dishes, all premodified so that the computer can automatically rewire them to whatever task is needed. The USS Deflector would be the closest thing to god man could make.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I ran across a fan design that was nothing but a huge nacelle with a huge deflector on the bottom. Interesting design and at least original.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

The piman wrote:I think this is highly probable. is it becasue of WW3 that humans on Earth decided to work more together, hence the dramatic increase in amazing technology in a relatively short amount of time?
Except that would be counter to everything that's gone before? Attempted mutual annihilation rarely brings people together. Wars are tremendous catalysts for technological advancement but promoting cooperation? Not really.