What's the most improbable aspect of the Trek universe?

The Next Generation
Black Jesus
Ensign
Ensign

What's the most improbable aspect of the Trek universe?

Post by Black Jesus »

What's the most improbable aspect of the Trek universe/future? There are a lot of things in Trek that have zero basis in real world physics and so on. Stuff like the holodeck and faster than light travel are up there. Faster than light sensors, as well.

So what's your pick for most improbable aspect of the Trek universe/future? Warp drive? Warp coils? A blind chief engineer? Subspace communications?

My pick for most improbable is Wil Wheaton finding work.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: What's the most improbable aspect of the Trek universe?

Post by Deepcrush »

I never had a problem with him, just his character.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

I would say the density of intelligent races within a short distance from Earth, the fact that they almost all look like humans with some minor tweaks, and that they tend to be so close to each other in terms of technological development.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

That they still hadn't found a cure for premature balding. I mean come on, the are able to create genetic supermen.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

That so many species have evolved to be just like one another biologically, at more or less the same technology level, all at the same time, right across the galaxy.

The reality is that if we ever discover aliens, you are very likely to have more in common with a houseplant than you have with them.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Black Jesus wrote:What's the most improbable aspect of the Trek universe/future? There are a lot of things in Trek that have zero basis in real world physics and so on. Stuff like the holodeck and faster than light travel are up there. Faster than light sensors, as well.

So what's your pick for most improbable aspect of the Trek universe/future? Warp drive? Warp coils? A blind chief engineer? Subspace communications?

My pick for most improbable is Wil Wheaton finding work.
I accept the blatant violation of RL science as required for the story to work but a few things grate on me; how does a race like the Klingon's manage to maintain an Empire? That tears my SoD right to shite every time there's more than one on the screen post-TOS.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Transporters. If there's anything more magic like in all of Trek I don't know what it is.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Tyyr wrote:Transporters. If there's anything more magic like in all of Trek I don't know what it is.
Only problem with that is... they have actually transported molecules, lol... and last I heard moved a cluster of them, can't find that article again though.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

GrahamKennedy wrote:That so many species have evolved to be just like one another biologically, at more or less the same technology level, all at the same time, right across the galaxy.

The reality is that if we ever discover aliens, you are very likely to have more in common with a houseplant than you have with them.
This. Though the way the transporter works is a close second.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Nickswitz wrote:Only problem with that is... they have actually transported molecules, lol... and last I heard moved a cluster of them, can't find that article again though.
Except we're not talking about moving a few atoms. We're talking about moving a person in their entirety, KNOWING the position, velocity, acceleration, rotation, etc. of every single subatomic particle in their body. Tearing them apart into those building blocks then reassembling them remotely. To top it off you don't just get the physical stuff from point A to B, you manage to transfer their consciousness as well after their bodies are torn into quintillions of separate pieces.

It's just a little bit different.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

It is, but they are getting there, and in a couple years they will probably be able to move lab rats.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Black Jesus
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Black Jesus »

How about the idea that humans can walk around on an utterly alien planet and eat and drink almost whatever they please without getting ill or contracting a pathogen or dying? In reality they'd be walking around in full hazmat gear at the very least.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Eating probably. However you're not likely to get sick from an alien bug. Having evolved on an entirely different planet an alien virus or bacteria would likely have no idea what to do with your body.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Anything Trek's ever done involving other life forms. Be it evolution, not realising that walking around unprotected on an alien planet is bad for your health, creatures turning into balls of light, alien races being able to breed with each other, or the Ocampa.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Black Jesus
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Black Jesus »

Tyyr wrote:Eating probably. However you're not likely to get sick from an alien bug. Having evolved on an entirely different planet an alien virus or bacteria would likely have no idea what to do with your body.
Perhaps, but the reverse is equally as likely. That your body wouldn't know what to do with an alien pathogen or bug/virus/bacteria and the body's defenses would be completely overrun by a slew of alien illnesses leading to a very brief Starfleet career.