Sins of the Father

The Next Generation
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Sins of the Father

Post by Lighthawk »

Alright, I just saw this episode the other night, and I think I must have missed something at the end of it. Exactly what was it that Worf accepted to have happen to him that allowed him to live and his brother to live without the dishonor of their father? They kept saying all episode long, if Worf challeneges the claim of dishonor and loses, he loses his life. Well he did challenge, and due to the situation, the coucil was never going to let him win the case, but then he tells the head judge he'll accept something (which I didn't quite catch), and then they have their little ceremony were they all cross their arms and turn away from him, and he gets to walk away.

What exactly happened there?
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Sins of the Father

Post by Tsukiyumi »

They revoked his Cost Co membership.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
USSEnterprise
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by USSEnterprise »

Sams Club is better anyway
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Lighthawk wrote:Alright, I just saw this episode the other night, and I think I must have missed something at the end of it. Exactly what was it that Worf accepted to have happen to him that allowed him to live and his brother to live without the dishonor of their father? They kept saying all episode long, if Worf challeneges the claim of dishonor and loses, he loses his life. Well he did challenge, and due to the situation, the coucil was never going to let him win the case, but then he tells the head judge he'll accept something (which I didn't quite catch), and then they have their little ceremony were they all cross their arms and turn away from him, and he gets to walk away.

What exactly happened there?
Worf accepted discomindation. He forfeit his honor in return his brother retained his station and Worf was placed into Exile. As he was a member of Starfleet, this action had no real effect. BUT, on the books its a harsh punishment that helped stop a civil war that could have shattered the KE.

It has about the same weight as a UN sanction, or the same lack there of. :lol:
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Worf accepted Discommendation.

From Memory Beta
Discommendation was a form of punishment found within the Klingon Empire. In discommendation an individual would be stripped of their honor and status. The punishment extended to the individual's family, for seven generations, reducing the house to the lowest echelons of Klingon society, and sometimes ejected the individual from the Empire all together.
Since honor is above all other concerns among Klingons, an execution would most likely be beneath the stripping away of an entire House's honor, status maybe even it's past legacy. If death is honorable among Klingons, Worf's acceptance of discommendation would be like running from a battle rather than face death.

This is interesting to Km'pec because Worf will be gone forever from the Klingon Empire, Kern must obey his brother's demands to keep the secret, and the scapegoated House of Mogh has no more presence in Klingon society. Duras' name can never be sullied and Km'pec has prevented civil war (between Romulan-hating Klingon families and the Duras family) holding his tenuous empire together.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

It was a political move that I agree with.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Ah, got it. Thanks guys.