Episode Discussion: Unification Parts 1 & 2

The Next Generation
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Episode Discussion: Unification Parts 1 & 2

Post by Bryan Moore »

I've made it into Season 5 in my rewatching of TNG. I love the premise of these episodes; the plot was great, we see a nice little detective story on the Enterprise, some poignance between Spock/Picard/Sarek and our first real look at any Romulan culture.

My one complaint, though, is that I feel there's too much stuff in it for a two parter. It really seemed as if Part 2 was slightly rushed. We have no real reason for Sela to be in the episodes, except for another reason to bring Denise Crosby back. I would have liked to have seen either some backstory as to how Sela became entangled in this, how Pardek came to decide to betray Spock, or perhaps a little more action in the escape of Picard/Data/Spock. If you didn't want to make this a three parter, Sela probably could have been taken out without any negative plot disruption.

Opinions?
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Episode Discussion: Unification Parts 1 & 2

Post by Mark »

I agree whole heatedly with the Sela opinion. The tie-in with Yesterday's Enterprise while clever was kind of forced, and REALLY didn't serve any purpose.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Heartily seconded.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye, they could have cut out some of it in favour of increasing clarity.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
steamrunner
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by steamrunner »

Agreed. Removing Sela would not have adversely affected the episode. Would have made for an interesting episode all its own... I really liked her in the novel Death in Winter...
"If? If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle..."
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Sela's part would have been better played if they had used her for the distraction right away. Instead she waited and by then the UFP task force was in place which made it a stupid move. Had they known the UFP was thinking about getting involved they should have moved her into play against Picard asap and then delayed the UFP task force at the same time as telling the Duras to spark a full blown offensive.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Deepcrush wrote:Sela's part would have been better played if they had used her for the distraction right away. Instead she waited and by then the UFP task force was in place which made it a stupid move. Had they known the UFP was thinking about getting involved they should have moved her into play against Picard asap and then delayed the UFP task force at the same time as telling the Duras to spark a full blown offensive.
Wrong episode Deep - you're thinking of Redemption, not Unification.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

OH, sorry, my bad.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

steamrunner wrote:Agreed. Removing Sela would not have adversely affected the episode. Would have made for an interesting episode all its own... I really liked her in the novel Death in Winter...
Is that book worth getting?
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
steamrunner
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by steamrunner »

Bryan Moore wrote:
steamrunner wrote:Agreed. Removing Sela would not have adversely affected the episode. Would have made for an interesting episode all its own... I really liked her in the novel Death in Winter...
Is that book worth getting?
I think so...at first I was scared about it being a "love story" but I quickly changed my mind. I enjoyed reading about Greyhorse and Pug Joseph as well, but I really enjoyed Sela. A badass stuck on a backwater frozen planet. I say go for it! (Or at least check it out at your nearest public library...was that a public service announcement?)
"If? If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle..."
Black Jesus
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Black Jesus »

Mark wrote:I agree whole heatedly with the Sela opinion. The tie-in with Yesterday's Enterprise while clever was kind of forced, and REALLY didn't serve any purpose.
It might have been better if Denise Crosby were a good actor. But she's not. At all. I'm surprised the woman manages to stay employed.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

She doesn't. She quit TNG because she didn't have enough good stuff to do and wanted to try a movie career. When that flopped she's spent every minute since trying to claw money out of Trek and its fandom.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Lets not forget her wonderful performance in "Pet Cemetery" :roll:

I'm sorry, but she was miscast for the roll. Unfortunately, it happens. At least we only had one season of her instead of being force fed her for six more, and the movies as well.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

A shame she put Data, Picard and Spock untied in a room with no guard and a workable computer console there.

And people say Starfleet's dumb? :laughroll:
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:And people say Starfleet's dumb? :laughroll:
How do you think the Federation survives? They're stupid, but their enemies are even worse.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.