Enterprise-D Saucer

The Next Generation
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Enterprise-D Saucer

Post by Atekimogus »

I am sure this was discussed before but whatever happened to the crashed E-D saucer? Seeing it after the crash it was dirty as hell but didn't seem that much damaged and even if a few of the lower decks were crushed it is still nothing compared to the damage the E-E suffered after ramming Shinzons ship.

Now I imagine that a galaxy class saucer is quite valuable - considering the resources it takes to build one and also that it probably takes quite a few years to build a new saucer to replace it if you start from scratch - so leaving about 3/4 of a galaxy class on the planet seems quite wasteful to me.

Now I am also not quite sure but wasn't the planet it crashed on inhabited by a pre-warp civilization? If so they would need to lift it back to orbit and cover their track - so to speak - no matter if they plan to repair it or not so they might as well reuse it imho.

Opinions?
-
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Enterprise-D Saucer

Post by Mikey »

Titled as salvage, then sold off in parts from a chop shop on Jerome Ave. in The Bronx.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Atekimogus wrote:I am sure this was discussed before but whatever happened to the crashed E-D saucer? Seeing it after the crash it was dirty as hell but didn't seem that much damaged and even if a few of the lower decks were crushed it is still nothing compared to the damage the E-E suffered after ramming Shinzons ship.
It might not have looked too badly damage at a distance from above, but the various views of it as the crew salvaged what they could show pretty conclusively that it was wrecked. The E-E was badly damaged, but the fact that the bow crumpled would have reduced the damage further aft. Moreover, the E-E only lost the front third or so of the saucer. The E-D suffered extensive damage to the entire saucer, lost the engineering hull entirely, and was stuck on a planet.
Now I imagine that a galaxy class saucer is quite valuable - considering the resources it takes to build one and also that it probably takes quite a few years to build a new saucer to replace it if you start from scratch - so leaving about 3/4 of a galaxy class on the planet seems quite wasteful to me.
3/4 of a GCS? More like less than half - the rest was orbiting the planet in a billion pieces. Plus it had suffered massive damage.
Now I am also not quite sure but wasn't the planet it crashed on inhabited by a pre-warp civilization? If so they would need to lift it back to orbit and cover their track - so to speak - no matter if they plan to repair it or not so they might as well reuse it imho.
The pre-warp civ was on the next planet out. We also don't know if the Feds had the ability to lift the saucer off the surface - that's a big chunk of metal you're talking about. One of Shatners' post-Generations Kirk books depicts what probably the most likely Fed response - scrap the ship in situ. They might be able to reuse some of the material, but the ship itself was irreparable.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Captain Seafort wrote: It might not have looked too badly damage at a distance from above, but the various views of it as the crew salvaged what they could show pretty conclusively that it was wrecked. The E-E was badly damaged, but the fact that the bow crumpled would have reduced the damage further aft. Moreover, the E-E only lost the front third or so of the saucer. The E-D suffered extensive damage to the entire saucer, lost the engineering hull entirely, and was stuck on a planet.
You probably are right, all I am saying that -contrary to the E-E - the saucer didn't look damaged at all imho.

Captain Seafort wrote:3/4 of a GCS? More like less than half - the rest was orbiting the planet in a billion pieces. Plus it had suffered massive damage.
Well...looking at the saucer...and the stardrive section....considering internal space etc. I guess I am not far off with my 3/4 figure. At least more than half of the ship.

Captain Seafort wrote:The pre-warp civ was on the next planet out. We also don't know if the Feds had the ability to lift the saucer off the surface - that's a big chunk of metal you're talking about.
Well, thats ok then, I thought both planets were inhabitat in which case leaving a city sized "weather ballon" on the planet for the locals to find would not be the brightest thing to do.

As for lifting capabilities, well since we have

I guess if they would have wanted to they could have easily salvaged the ship.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

We don't really have much in the way of info on how they intended to get that ship off Mars. Perhaps she could lift under her own power, they might have high power tractors there that require a planetary mounting, they might lift her and then finish her internals. There's a lot here that could be happening.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I imagine they either sent a salvage team down to remove the wreckage or vaporized it with a few tricobalt devices. Why not? Nobody lives on THAT planet after all.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Cpl Kendall wrote:We don't really have much in the way of info on how they intended to get that ship off Mars. Perhaps she could lift under her own power, they might have high power tractors there that require a planetary mounting, they might lift her and then finish her internals. There's a lot here that could be happening.
All what you are saying it right of course it is just that if we consider the tech-level of the UFP, which is altering gravity on a daily basis etc. and consider other instances like the Enil hovering in earth atmospere I personnally never really questioned their ability to overcome 1g no matter how big the ship is.
I imagine they either sent a salvage team down to remove the wreckage or vaporized it with a few tricobalt devices. Why not? Nobody lives on THAT planet after all.
Of course they would have to do something like that. Well wasn't their a novel about the lost E-D saucer? Sure it's not canon but it might give us a hint what uses it still could have.
steamrunner
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by steamrunner »

Save a small chunk for the Starfleet Museum! :wave:
"If? If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle..."
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Of course they would have to do something like that. Well wasn't their a novel about the lost E-D saucer? Sure it's not canon but it might give us a hint what uses it still could have.
Was there??? That would have been interesting.....anybody remember the name of that book? If so, I'd like to check it out. Honestly, that was one of the things that annoyed me to no end at the end of Generations.
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Ah, I believe I found the book http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Rogue_Saucer but altough it is about the saucer it is not about the crashed one. Since there is the experimantal saucer able to survive planetfall mentioned I guess I mixed it up, sorry. :|
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Ahh......Rouge Saucer. I remember that one. It was like a preview for Generations :lol:
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Mark wrote:Rouge Saucer
Why'd they paint it red? :P
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Why didn't they paint two death stars on the side either???
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

One of the books that dealt with post-Generations E-D saucer was Imzadi II (spl?).

The top of the saucer looked ok, but I am willing to bet that the whole underside of the saucer is crushed and the entire saucer's frame is distorted. The saucer is not a frisbee that you can lift off like that after a rough landing. :P
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye, the bottom was probably crushed and shredded by the impact. I dread to think of the casualties amongst the crew in the lower sections.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"