Enterprise-D Saucer

The Next Generation
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Enterprise-D Saucer

Post by Captain Seafort »

Especially as the lower saucer was probably crowded with evacuees from the engineering hull.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

Rochey wrote:Aye, the bottom was probably crushed and shredded by the impact. I dread to think of the casualties amongst the crew in the lower sections.
Well if you go by the TM, at least, it would seem that a saucer section landing was an anticipated emergency maneuver and that they had procedures for it. Why would they put people in places where they knew they would be killed? I see no reason why you couldn't put 1,000 people in the top 10 decks of the saucer.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

You could fit them in fairly easily. Whether or not they had time to move them, when they only just got everyone out of the engineering hull in time, and the ship was bucking around out of control, is another matter.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Didn't Picard state that casualties were "light"? I doubt he'd say that if hundreds of people were killed.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Two things

1) Structural Integrity Field. The forces involved in a crash landing like that are nothing compared to some of the abuse the saucer takes in space.
2) Watch the scene again. The fore edge of the saucer takes our several hills without even scratching the paint.

I have no doubt the saucer survived relatively intact, lower decks and all. They might be dug into the earth but I doubt anything as mundane as crash landing on a planet did them in.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'd be more worried about casualties from people being dashed against walls and having objects break loose and turn into shrapnell. Even on the bridge, logicaly the most heavily reinforced place, there was utter carnage and crewmen were tossed around the place. And they knew exactly when they were going to hit. If you were on one of the lower decks with no idea of when to brace.....well, it wouldn't be pretty.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

No arguement there, I just highly doubt the crash itself crushed the saucer.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

On that point you've a pretty good argument.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I agree. I still think that the saucer was at least warped in some areas. The amount of chaos that went on during the landing was by far one of the worse we have seen happen on a bridge even the days when the engineers decide to use C-4 in the consoles.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Capt. Jethro
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Capt. Jethro »

I believe in the book "The Return" by William Shatner, and I know it's not canon, it was destroyed by photon torpedos. It has been a while since I've read the book, so it may have been another book that took place after Generations.
American by birth, southern by the grace of God!
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

In a bizarre twist, the saucer edge survives well enough but the dome on top of the bridge is shattered. :?
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Cpl Kendall wrote:In a bizarre twist, the saucer edge survives well enough but the dome on top of the bridge is shattered. :?
:Q
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

To bad there isn't a scene where a crew member (Wesley) is fired into the dome by the crash.
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

Cpl Kendall wrote:In a bizarre twist, the saucer edge survives well enough but the dome on top of the bridge is shattered. :?
It's one of those things that are so stupid you just want to imagine they're not canon. (As I pointed out on another thread, they also seemed to use shatterable glass to make floors in main engineering.)
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
steamrunner
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by steamrunner »

Cpl Kendall wrote:To bad there isn't a scene where a crew member (Wesley) is fired into the dome by the crash.
:laughroll:
"If? If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle..."