Welcome to the idiocy that is....the Pakleds

The Next Generation
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Welcome to the idiocy that is....the Pakleds

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Same thing. :P
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:
Tyyr wrote:Awesome.

His schtick isn't building up, it's tearing down and I love him for it. Does he have a website or forum? He's mentioned people suggesting things but I've seen no way to contact him.

I've always preferred building up, myself.
He does that a fair bit actually, he always gives credit where it's due and even if he hasn't anything good to say about a particular plot point, he offers an alternative. Which is far better then most ever do.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Rochey wrote:But that's boring. :P

I recall that he had a lot of good things to say about one of the VOY episodes. The Freeze, or something like that.
No, it's not boring.
Cpl Kendall wrote: He does that a fair bit actually, he always gives credit where it's due and even if he hasn't anything good to say about a particular plot point, he offers an alternative. Which is far better then most ever do.
Aye, that's a good point. Although I'd still like to see him do a 'good' episode.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

The thaw was a 'good' episode, and it really was an excellent episode.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

There are some gay Harry jokes, but its merited.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

The Pakleds are one of those species that could have been good in theory, but just didn't work. There's no reason to suppose that all species would be of equal intelligence, and indeed we've seen species that are, or are alleged to be, superior to Humans many times. So you either have to assume that humans are basically the dumbest species in the galaxy... or there has to be folks out there that are dumber than we are.

The idea of having a species who are successful whilst being say half as bright as humans could be a fascinating one. How would they work around the difficulties? How would they feel confronted by us, who grasp things so quickly and come up with solutions they could never think of? You could have fascinating parallels with how Humans have reacted to "superior" intelligences in the past.

Alas, the episode just totally doesn't work. It was a huge mistake to make the Pakleds bad guys. They just don't work on screen. It puts me in mind of the Gorn actually... a slow species, interesting in theory, dumb on the actual screen.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I think the biggest problem was that they took the Pakleds from being slow or not as intelligent and pushed them right into total brain damage.
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Tyyr wrote:I think the biggest problem was that they took the Pakleds from being slow or not as intelligent and pushed them right into total brain damage.
Yeah, slower thinking than human doesn't need to mean mentally retarded. They didn't just grasp things slowly, they really just didn't grasp things at all.

And I laugh at the idea that they might have pulled their "kidnap someone for tech" on the romulans or klingons. Either race would have blown them out of the vacuum for pulling a stunt like that.
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

I could imagine the Ferengi taking advantage of them, giving them a few beat up ships for something really valuable on their planet.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Lazar wrote:I could imagine the Ferengi taking advantage of them, giving them a few beat up ships for something really valuable on their planet.
Heh, the Ferengi would love these guys. They would rape them in any and every business deal they made, and best of all, the Pakleds would probably never even know they got the shaft. The Ferengi would probably be able to keep fooling the Paks into thinking they were getting the better deal.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

My two and a half year old could have fooled those guys. Give him five minutes with them and he'd be their king.
steamrunner
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by steamrunner »

But finally, a species whose eyebrows give Leonid Brezhnev's a run for their money!
"If? If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle..."
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Post by thelordharry »

Don't be too hard on them. They're just all constipated and looking for things to make them go.
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and
the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to
know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is
to have succeeded.”
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

:lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

GrahamKennedy wrote:The Pakleds are one of those species that could have been good in theory, but just didn't work. There's no reason to suppose that all species would be of equal intelligence, and indeed we've seen species that are, or are alleged to be, superior to Humans many times. So you either have to assume that humans are basically the dumbest species in the galaxy... or there has to be folks out there that are dumber than we are.

The idea of having a species who are successful whilst being say half as bright as humans could be a fascinating one. How would they work around the difficulties? How would they feel confronted by us, who grasp things so quickly and come up with solutions they could never think of? You could have fascinating parallels with how Humans have reacted to "superior" intelligences in the past.

Alas, the episode just totally doesn't work. It was a huge mistake to make the Pakleds bad guys. They just don't work on screen. It puts me in mind of the Gorn actually... a slow species, interesting in theory, dumb on the actual screen.
Lesser intelligence means that they would have a lower tech level and a slower rate of advancement; it doesn't necessarily mean that they would all speak like the St. Bernard from Bugs Bunny. That method of presentation turned them into a farce.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer