Welcome to the idiocy that is....the Pakleds

The Next Generation
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Welcome to the idiocy that is....the Pakleds

Post by Aaron »

Rochey wrote:Someone here said they wanted to see SFDebris cover a good episode. Here you go.
I haven't seen this ep in years but he brings good points about the moral of the story, I never thought about it that way before.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Yeah, that's a great review there for a great episode.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Rochey wrote:Oh, of course. If it was handed to them they might be able to make it work. I was countering the assertion that pure determination would have allowed them to create such tech on their own, without outside influence.
stitch626 wrote:Perhaps they were just slow in speech (I haven't seen the ep yet, so don't know the specifics).
No. They really were retarded.
Sorry, I should have allowed for that. That statement was intended to allow for the successful purchase/barter/discovery (ie FINDING)/receiving the gift of/or theft of tech.
Mikey wrote:To quote Captain Seafort from another discussion, "determination < opposable thumbs."

We're not talking about trying to win a spot on the varsity team, we're talking about interstellar travel. Certain tools are just plain required.

In other words, a paraplegic can't climb stairs. There are other solutions, such as ramps, available; and it doesn't mak
e the paraplegic a bad person. But the fact remains.
As I remember, the Pakleds didn't have any physical handicap to prevent them from discovering/building warp drive, so thats not quite the best comparison here. All it would take is for one "special" Pakled (theie version of a genius) to make the discovery.

Remember people, no matter how they are portrayed they CANNOT be as dumb as they appear. They have managed as a race not only to survive but to thrive, overcoming likely similar trials that every other species in Trek did.

Maybe we just saw an unusually dumb crew?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Mark wrote: Sorry, I should have allowed for that. That statement was intended to allow for the successful purchase/barter/discovery (ie FINDING)/receiving the gift of/or theft of tech.
Ah, alright.
Mark wrote:As I remember, the Pakleds didn't have any physical handicap to prevent them from discovering/building warp drive, so thats not quite the best comparison here. All it would take is for one "special" Pakled (theie version of a genius) to make the discovery.
And it needs other such special Pakleds to create manufacturing facilities to reproduce the tech in question, know how to maintain them and install them.
Mark wrote:Remember people, no matter how they are portrayed they CANNOT be as dumb as they appear. They have managed as a race not only to survive but to thrive, overcoming likely similar trials that every other species in Trek did
So have the Ocampa, despite evolution practicaly dictating that they should be extinct. I'd put the Pakled's success down to everyone else just ignoring them and letting them do what they want. They're not exactly a great threat.
Mark wrote:Maybe we just saw an unusually dumb crew?
Ah, the Pakled version of Golgafrinchian Ark Ship B? :P
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Exactly :lol:
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.