Worst Season

The Next Generation
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Worst Season

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Season 1. By Season 2 they at least began to realise what was going wrong and started fixing it.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Season 1, so 80's. Which speaks for its self.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I still can't believe they decided to do naked now as the second episode. Gee, might have been nice to get to know the characters prior them going batshit insane.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

That whole season sucked. Encounter at Farpoint alright but moved slowly. The only thing that season had going for it was that it was brand spanking never seen Trek.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Tyyr wrote:I still can't believe they decided to do all of season 1 as a rehash of hackneyed TOS scripts..
Fixed it. :wink:
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

'Farpoint' had Bones doing that cool tour. That almost singel-handedly elevates season one above two in my eyes.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

After watching Season 7 a couple of times since it's gone off the air, I've found that a lot of the stories I previously enjoyed, I really don't as much. Also, is it just me, or did the lighting and camera style really change that season? Some of the episodes just have this look that I can't describe, but can immediately recognize as Season 7. I know the bridge lighting changed a bit, but there's more to it than that.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Season 2 had "Measure of a man" and "Q who" - two of the finest episodes in TNG. There aren't really any episodes in Season 1 that can compare.

I'm not gonna turn this into a review of "Measure of a Man", but it does show the series becoming more aware and comfortable with its characters - Data and Geordies friendship, Rikers smugness - it even had Picard being described as a "pompous ass".
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Season 1. Of all the seasons I own, if you look on my rack, TNG season 1 is the only one still sealed.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

kostmayer wrote:Season 2 had "Measure of a man" and "Q who" - two of the finest episodes in TNG. There aren't really any episodes in Season 1 that can compare.

I'm not gonna turn this into a review of "Measure of a Man", but it does show the series becoming more aware and comfortable with its characters - Data and Geordies friendship, Rikers smugness - it even had Picard being described as a "pompous ass".
That is why Season 1 is the worse season IMO because there are no episodes on the same caliber as Measure of a Man and Q Who?.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Instead we had men in mini skirts, an arrogant ass for a captain, a ridiculously naive android, a god/quantum child, and a butchy looking blonde trying to look tough and failing miserably at it, not to mention some crappy writing and chessy effects.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Don't forget about Troi. :P
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Indeed. Not sure what the hell she was even there for in season one. Except eye candy
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I liked Yar myself... I would rather have seen little crusher die, and stay dead.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Oh boy, that woulda been too much of a gift to us...
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang