Worst Season

The Next Generation
steamrunner
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Re: Worst Season

Post by steamrunner »

I have no doubt that Q, the tormentor he was, would have brought Wesley Crusher back to life no matter what demise was planned... :bangwall:
"If? If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle..."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Meh. I liked Yar's character, and I thought she was just beginning to undergo some decent character exploration; but I was never impressed with Crosby's acting.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Lazar wrote:And Gates McFadden left the show, but then they got her back for season 3.

Oh, and I see now on Memory Alpha that Wesley was originally going to be a girl, called... Leslie.

They should have gone with that idea and cast Ashley Judd, dammit! :x
Nah, they should have cast another girl, but kept the storyline of Leslie and Robin Lefler getting it on.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

:laughroll:
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Yes please.

Hmm, interesting question actually.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Denise Crosby was always a bit 2 dimensional in everything I've seen her in. And she really didn't make me "like" Yar. I mean, Spinner sold me on Data in the first episode. Dorn had me with Worf in that Klingon episode. They mostly all did, except Yar.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
steamrunner
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by steamrunner »

Mark wrote:Denise Crosby was always a bit 2 dimensional in everything I've seen her in. And she really didn't make me "like" Yar. I mean, Spinner sold me on Data in the first episode. Dorn had me with Worf in that Klingon episode. They mostly all did, except Yar.
I agree. Tough is sexy, but too much gets old really fast. Being in Security doesn't necessarily mean you have to be a grumpy badass all the time...
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Since we are discussing cast-members and I am currently watching season 2, why is it that everyone seems to hate Polaski so much?
I was always rather ambivalent about the character and it is an obvious attempt at having a female Mccoy but if you compare it to a Season 1 Dr. Crusher who is ALWAYS bitching about here special son I must say a down to earth Polaski making fun of everyone is an advancment imho.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
steamrunner
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by steamrunner »

I liked Katherine Pulaski! The sideways glances she'd give Picard...like he was no more than a pimple on some crewman's butt... :P
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I like Pulaski as well, if I could tune out the fact that she seemed to be a carbon copy of McCoy and trying to play that role with Data as Spock and it just didn't work. She's not the MILF McFadden was but she was also for more entertaining than Crusher.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

I never liked how she was prejudiced against Data. At least with McCoy and Spock it was a two way thing - McCoy gave as good as he got. And there was mutual respect despite their differences.

Pulalski just seemed to dislike Data because she saw him as a piece of technology, and he never gave her the stomping that Spock gave McCoy.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

There was nothing to her character aside from the McCoy-ism. "I care too much to adhere to the chain of command" was only part of Bones' character - it was all of Pulaski's. More's the pity, because Muldaur was capable of so much more.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

kostmayer wrote:I never liked how she was prejudiced against Data. At least with McCoy and Spock it was a two way thing - McCoy gave as good as he got. And there was mutual respect despite their differences.

Pulalski just seemed to dislike Data because she saw him as a piece of technology, and he never gave her the stomping that Spock gave McCoy.
"What's the difference?"

"One is my name. The other is not."

Best subtly sarcastic comeback ever. :lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

I rather liked the Data/Pulaski relationship. It showed a bit of realism, that not everyone was going to accept an andriod as a person. And over the course of the season she became less and less sure about how she viewed him, and started treating him a bit more like a person than just a machine.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

If allowed to develop a bit, it may have grown and become interesting, but she just didn't have that...spark...for lack of a better word. She didn't have anything about her to make her interesting, really.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.