Contagion

The Next Generation
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Contagion

Post by Bryan Moore »

Great episode, probably one of the first couple of the series that I really loved. I adore the idea of the Iconian gateway, and wish we'd seen more in depth. I also love how the Yamato was destroyed so senselessly.

My only complaint is that I somehow wish this had been made a two-parter. Perhaps have Picard jump through the gateway only to emerge many sectors away or something.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Contagion

Post by Tyyr »

I enjoyed most of it. Probably the only part I really didn't like was that their method of getting rid of the virus was essentially rebooting the computer. Ugh.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Tyyr wrote:I enjoyed most of it. Probably the only part I really didn't like was that their method of getting rid of the virus was essentially rebooting the computer. Ugh.
Better than Quantum being the cause of and solution to all of Star Trek's problems.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Foxfyre
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Foxfyre »

:Q

could have been a subspace thing-o-the-week
Genius insania et conseri manum
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Tyyr wrote:I enjoyed most of it. Probably the only part I really didn't like was that their method of getting rid of the virus was essentially rebooting the computer. Ugh.
Hell, I'm more irked that the E-D's computer, without user input, executed a completely alien code, which was then capable of infecting every system on the ship due to the shitty computer design.

Other than that, it was a fairly good episode.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Seriously, even if the virus was re-writing the computer's codes or something, they should've been able to isolate individual systems. I mean, there aren't any hardlines?
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Could all be wifi.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Teaos wrote:Could all be wifi.
Well, then that's clearly stupid. :P
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Yeah, you've got a computer core that basically governs every operating feature of the most advanced (at the time) piece of materiel in the fleet. You wouldn't want to isolate any systems or anything, right?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SuperSaiyaMan12 »

Mikey wrote:Yeah, you've got a computer core that basically governs every operating feature of the most advanced (at the time) piece of materiel in the fleet. You wouldn't want to isolate any systems or anything, right?
Well wasn't the Iconian Virus extremely advanced too? And remember, this episode was written in the 1980's early 90's, where Firewalls and other security technology would be unknown to the writers.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

William Gibson, among others, wrote about isolated systems and other such security features in the early to mid-80's.
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Could it be that the virus was so advanced that it broke through the computer's firewalls? Maybe the virus is a fast acting one but was slowed down by the computer core.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I guess, but why would the computer decide on its own to execute the infected file(s)?
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Mikey wrote:I guess, but why would the computer decide on its own to execute the infected file(s)?
I had a computer virus in '99 that decided to infect the BIOS. No execution required. Dead computer.

I mean, literally, it wouldn't even boot up, or allow access to the BIOS menu.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Dude! Did you find the gateway?
as Bull offed Custer