Contagion

The Next Generation
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Re: Contagion

Post by stitch626 »

steamrunner wrote:Doesn't the GCS have three computer cores? A primary and redundant pair in the saucer section and one in the engineering section?
I think it only has two, with one in the saucer being a dumby.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

No, one in the engineering hull is the deadweight. Three active ones.

And obviously it would make no sense to keep one in standby, totally disconnected from everything else ready to be put in service if say the other two got infected with a virus.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

No Tyyr, that would be using common sense, way to high thinking for the Federation.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I don't know. There could be a possibility that a disconnected computer core would take too much time connect into the system should the other cores fail. So as a neccessary evil, Starfleet has the backup(s) connected ready to be used.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

McAvoy wrote:I don't know. There could be a possibility that a disconnected computer core would take too much time connect into the system should the other cores fail. So as a neccessary evil, Starfleet has the backup(s) connected ready to be used.
Possible, but unlikely. How hard can it be to plug in a few wires?
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Lighthawk wrote:
McAvoy wrote:I don't know. There could be a possibility that a disconnected computer core would take too much time connect into the system should the other cores fail. So as a neccessary evil, Starfleet has the backup(s) connected ready to be used.
Possible, but unlikely. How hard can it be to plug in a few wires?
Remember this is the Enterprise. Its computer system is always malfunctioning. Likely more difficult than we'd like.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

If the ship has three cores, then that's still no excuse.
Have one running.
Have one connected but on standby in case you need it.
Have one completely disconnected.

Problem solved.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Exactly. Additionally I'd set the core up so that most of your absolutely critical, "It works or we all die," type stuff is initially routed through a single data connection. Make one connection (probably by hand, not even have the computer control it) and all the important stuff can be run by the offline backup. Then you can take your time hooking up the lines for things like transporters and replicators and doors.

Physically shut the infected cores down and disconnect them then hook up the back up. It's not a perfect way to secure the computers but at the worst it would have doubled the time they had to try and fix the problem in Contagion.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Do we know if the Galaxy needs one computer core to run the ship?
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Canon, we don't know one way or another. According to TNG Tech Manual only one of the three cores was needed.
steamrunner
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by steamrunner »

Tyyr wrote:Canon, we don't know one way or another. According to TNG Tech Manual only one of the three cores was needed.
Hmmm...I just can't quite see that one. :confused: It might be able to operate on just one core, but I would think that the engineering core would handle the M/ARA and related systems while the main core in the saucer section would handle research, etc... Two extra cores with I-don't-know-how-many Gazooblebytes of computing power just sitting there...
"If? If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle..."
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

Hmmm, gazooblebytes, is that an official scientific term of measurement? :lol:
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
steamrunner
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by steamrunner »

Sure, why not... Terabytes are boring. :|
"If? If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle..."
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Not sitting there, they all ran at the same time. It's just possible to run the entire ship from a single core, just don't expect to be making a lot of use of the holodeck or the like.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I thought about this.

You need one for the saucer and the battle section when the ship seperates. Then if case the engineering hull is somehow destroyed or lost, the saucer is the giant lifeboat, just in case the primary core is damaged, you have another. You shit out of luck if both are damaged. The engineering hull does not need a backup because a saucer would not (well it shouldn't) explode, so need to seperate.

Though if I were to design it, the engineering hull would at least have a mini core to at least run the basics of the ship until help arrives when the ship is seperated.

EDIT: Woohoo! Ensign!