What is ten forward?

The Next Generation
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

What is ten forward?

Post by Atekimogus »

I know it is bar but what is it legally? A starfleet R&R facility with hired civilians? A private business just renting the space on the ship and opening a bar?

What about other civilian shops on a galaxy class vessel? They sure as hell would be big enough. (Yeah I know there is no money in TNG but come on, trade happens all the time in star trek.) Looking at the Ed Withfire blueprints - which I think were the first blueprints for the E-D - there is clearly a huge mall area behind ten forward which - at least to me - makes a lot of sense.

So would it be possible for - let's say a ferengi trader who hasn't the money for his own ship but enough to rent space on a galaxy - to set up a shop on one and trade at each port?

How is it handled on todays warships like aircraft carriers? I read there to are a multitude of shops, are they part of the navy or private businesses?
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: What is ten forward?

Post by Teaos »

I would think it is Starfleet owned and opperated and people can apply to work at it. its a simple bar. A way for civilians to see the galaxy with out joining starfleet.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye, I'd just call it the official ship's bar.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Atekimogus wrote:are they part of the navy or private businesses?
They're part of the Navy. They let private businesses set up shop sometimes on base, but not on board ship. I'd agree, Ten Forward is the ship's official bar, and they employ some of the civies on board to work it.
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

But what about other civilian shops?
A DS9 style promenade deck would probably easily fit within a GCS hull without taking up to much space. Possible for someone to setup a shop there or not? I mean in the good old TNG setting where you already have a bunch of civilians onboard and going shopping seems still to be a free time activity (Encounter at Farpoint for example).
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Haven't we gotten upset enough that Starfleet carries civilians on GCS'es to begin with? These were, in their time, Starfleet's most powerful ships and faced danger constantly, after all. Let civilians go on a cruise ship.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Why its the swingin-est place this side of Risa!
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

Atekimogus wrote:What about other civilian shops on a galaxy class vessel? They sure as hell would be big enough. (Yeah I know there is no money in TNG but come on, trade happens all the time in star trek.) Looking at the Ed Withfire blueprints - which I think were the first blueprints for the E-D - there is clearly a huge mall area behind ten forward which - at least to me - makes a lot of sense.
I love the look of Ed Whitfire's blueprints, but those were made before the Ten Forward set was introduced in Season 2, so I think Rick Sternbach's blueprints (which depict a different configuration of the saucer rim more consistent with the actual Ten Forward set, and with the 4 ft E-D studio model which replaced the 6 ft model in Season 3) should take precedence.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

We've seen no evidence of shopping malls on board though. Even if there are I can just about guarantee you that the shops on board are Starfleet owned with at best a civvie tending them.
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Lazar wrote: I love the look of Ed Whitfire's blueprints, but those were made before the Ten Forward set was introduced in Season 2, so I think Rick Sternbach's blueprints (which depict a different configuration of the saucer rim more consistent with the actual Ten Forward set, and with the 4 ft E-D studio model which replaced the 6 ft model in Season 3) should take precedence.
Yes Sternbachs are the "offical" ones but if you read about the history of those, the Ed Withfire's blueprints are obviously the ones he made with the blessing of Andrew Probert - the designer of the E-D. Since neither are canonical I go with the first blueprints who show how the ship was meant to be and not those only come to be because of a license screwup, but that is up for everyone to decide. :wink:

It is just while browsing through those blueprints I really had the feeling that this person really put some thought in it and I often thougt, yeah good idea actually.

I also read a detailed interview of Probert were he discusses the whole ten forward screwup which to me seemed very stupid. If I understood it correctly they first built the ten forward set dispite Proberts warning that it wouldn't fit into the hull only to add a half deck later on so that the windows would match again. Since it's only a bar I really can't understand why the screwup... .
Last edited by Atekimogus on Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Do you have any links to it? I'd be interested to read it.
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

I became aware of it from a piece that Bernd wrote on the Galaxy class saucer rim.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

The link to the blueprints is provided in my previous post but here it is again:Ed Withfire blueprints. There is also the history of the blueprints.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Well at the very least these civilians are adults and have signed off, not true of the families we saw on the E-D.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Honestly, kids on the E-D reminds me of this.

:lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939