Galaxy class

The Next Generation
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Realistically about 70-80% of the crew should be enlisted.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I think we can forget about seeing anything 'realistic' or logical from 'Trek writers... :?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Indeed. Galaxy Quest made more sense than some Trek episodes. :roll:
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Mikey wrote:And I think O'Brien's character is GREAT, but wouldn't Starfleet protocols require an officer to be Chief of Operations?
I doubt it. Ensign Kim is the Chief of Operations, and although he may be an officer, he has far less experience than O'Brien.
It's similar in modern day militaries - 2nd Lieutenant outranks all enlisted ranks (private, corporals, and sergeants). But you'll often find that the senior enlisted ranks - 1sts, Masters, gunnerys, majors etc really have authority over the lower officer ranks.
You can compare it to any employment or career. You may come out of university with a masters in Civil Engineering, but you can bet someone who has no qualifications who's been doing the same job for 20 years will get the job before you.

And Galaxy Quest is one of my favourite ever films :wink:
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

While I agree that O'Brien is the right man for the job, I would just imagine that there would be a code in place requiring senior staff to be officers. Or, tu put it differently, why wasn't O'Brien offered a commission when he was offered a senior staff position?
as Bull offed Custer
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Because he'd have to go to the academy to be promoted to Ensign (ie becoming an officer), for 4 whole years. You don't need to be a senior officer to be a member of the senior staff (Ensign Kim, Lt JG Paris, Lt JG Torres, Lt JG Worf, Lt JG Bashir, Lt JG Laforge...).
While Ensign outranks Chief Petty Officer, Chief Petty Officer is by far the more desirable rank - it shows experience and skill, for which there is no substitute.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

It could also be possible that Sisko or who ever their captain is gives them authority over other ranks while on theirship/station.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Quite possible. Perhaps it was just a way of avoiding sending him off to the acadamy.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Teaos wrote:It could also be possible that Sisko or who ever their captain is gives them authority over other ranks while on theirship/station.
Of course. That often happens, like when Worf was given 2nd in command over Laforge in Gambit - because he was the best man for the job.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

O'Brien could have been given a field commision, attending the Academy would not be required. He could then complete his degree on his own time, similar to how officers who commision from the ranks in a modern military do it.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

That explains it then.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

No it doesn't - he COULD have been given a field commission, but he wasn't. He remained "Chief" O'Brien.

Of course, maybe he DID attend the academy... wow. That was very big circle. :lol:
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Good point.
Damned stupid writers, forcing us to figure out their mistakes!
[/rant]
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Cpl Kendall wrote:O'Brien could have been given a field commision, attending the Academy would not be required. He could then complete his degree on his own time, similar to how officers who commision from the ranks in a modern military do it.
That, unfortunately, doesn't fit canon. He wore officers' rank pins in early TNG (and was refered to as "Lieutenant" in "Where Silence Has Lease"), but only started being refered to as an NCO in "Family" and from season 6 onwards. If he'd recieved a field commission you'd expect him to start out as a CPO, and then gain officers pips.

As for his position as chief of operations, when DS9 was first handed over the station commander was a Commander (Sisko), the Starfleet 2iC was as Lieutenant (Dax), and the only other observed officer was a Lieutenant j.g (Bashir). Given those ranks, it doesn't seem unreasonable that the engineer would be a senior NCO.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I guess not, considering the fact that the First Officer was not even Starfleet!
as Bull offed Custer