Galaxy class

The Next Generation
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Captain Seafort wrote:
That, unfortunately, doesn't fit canon. He wore officers' rank pins in early TNG (and was refered to as "Lieutenant" in "Where Silence Has Lease"), but only started being refered to as an NCO in "Family" and from season 6 onwards. If he'd recieved a field commission you'd expect him to start out as a CPO, and then gain officers pips.

As for his position as chief of operations, when DS9 was first handed over the station commander was a Commander (Sisko), the Starfleet 2iC was as Lieutenant (Dax), and the only other observed officer was a Lieutenant j.g (Bashir). Given those ranks, it doesn't seem unreasonable that the engineer would be a senior NCO.
I'm not trying to slot anything into canon but rather offer a possible explanation for how he could aquire a commision to serve on the senior staff of DS9 without attending the Academy as some think he would have too.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

He also may have taken a demotion for some reason. Maybe he wasn't looking to be an officer.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Yes maybe as a way to keep his family together. He demoted himself so as not to be sent away.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Thats one of the thoughts that i had, officers don't get to pick where they go to.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

And enlisted men do?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Well, not so much but its a lot easier to find a non-com then an officer spot.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Perhaps he was having some sort of 'trial run' as an officer, decided he didn't like it and went back to being a non-enlisted crewman.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

In response to those suggesting that O'Brien wouldn't be able to pick and choose where he went, it's possible that he could. Modern militaries often allow service personnel with families to select where they are posted, to a certain extent, in order to allow them to take their families with them. It's possible that O'Brien requested a transfer to DS9 on the grounds that it's less likely to be shot at than the Enterprise, and its likely to have a much less hectic routine. It turned out to be a full-time job to stop it falling apart, and on the doorstep of the galaxy's only stable wormhole, but he wasn't to know that.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

He might have been given a brevet promotion to whatever rank he was seen as in the early seasons. A brevet promotion is a temporary promotion to a rank that carries all of the perks and authority of the real rank but the officer can be returned to his previous rank with no career consequences if things don't work out.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

A likely and common-sense scenario, except for this: why would he have been given a brevet promotion as a general engineer, and then returned to an enlisted grade BEFORE becoming transporter chief?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mikey wrote:A likely and common-sense scenario, except for this: why would he have been given a brevet promotion as a general engineer, and then returned to an enlisted grade BEFORE becoming transporter chief?
I'll leave that for those more familar with the series to figure out.