The Next Generation
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Galaxy-Class (Dominion War Refit) Vs. Galaxy Class

Post by Atekimogus »

Since those topics are popping up everywhere might as well ask:

WAR-GCS vs Galaxy

Who would win (okay, pretty obvious) and what is actually the confirmed difference between them. Are two additional phaserstripes on the nacelles really that much of an advantage? What about sensor power, ECM, ECCM etc. wouldn't a stock GCS have a slight advantage compared to an near empty WAR-GCS?
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Re: Galaxy-Class (Dominion War Refit) Vs. Galaxy Class

Post by Bryan Moore »

Check Graham's ratings, as thats pretty much what we go by.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

The basis for my take on it was a talk with Rick Sternback (no he's not a friend or anything. He used to have a newsgroup for tech talk years ago.)

He said that the war GCS was fitted with two extra arrays, more powerful warp core, and next generation sensors. In addition they were built and launched with no scientific labs, diplomatic facilities, etc. That meant much of the hull was empty - Sternback said in the TNG TM that up to a third of a pre war GCS was empty hull left for refits and upgrades, so the war models were easily half empty or more. He did suggest that where available some of the empty space was being stacked with extra shield generators and such.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

They also appeared to have some armor.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Well then, there we go =)
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

That and they took a beating that we've never seen a GCS take before. Other then the YE/E-D.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

They also didn't explode everytime someone said something mean about them, which is a nice improvement.

So yeah, War GCS all the way.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Well I checked Graham's rating and altough I am not sure how exactly you scaled those numbers a few things stood out for me.

The upgraded version is actually heavier than the basic one, shouldn't it have less mass considering that it is not "filled out"?
My first thought would be more mass due to boosted armour but the armour rating and description did not change. So that left shieldsystems and the two phaser stripes which seems a bit excessive imho. If they crammed a half empty ship the size of the GCS with shield emitters I would expect...well not sure..better ratings. :lol:

As a side note, isnt the GCS supposed to have 3x torpedo tubes? I know we never see the third one but still.. :)

All in all, still lower ratings then a Defiant, I am not sure what to think of that :wink: .
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

The third one is only mentioned in the TM, IIRC. Which is not canon. If we don't see it in action, then it doesn't exist.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

The extra armour also covers the separation plane, which would make the third torp launcher unusable anyway.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Rochey wrote:The third one is only mentioned in the TM, IIRC. Which is not canon. If we don't see it in action, then it doesn't exist.
True, but I was refering to the entry on the galaxy on ditl.org. When you look at the number of torpedo tubes it even makes a reference to the TNG TM so I thougt this might just be a small error, no offense intended.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

The extra arrays provide slightly better coverage and since the ships arent exactly agile that is a big advantage. Although the pahsers would most likely be the same power, maybe slightly more but not much.

Would the drop in weight due to the reduced internal space used provide a speed/agility boost?
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Yeah, that'd make sense.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

It would almost have to - if not, there really wouldn't be any reason to build them that way.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Praeothmin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Praeothmin »

Teaos wrote:since the ships arent exactly agile that is a big advantage
Although two of the DWGCS did a pretty good "flyby" in the DW on a Galor, so they obviously have improved agility, probably due to their lower mass or more powerful cores...
The truth always depends on which side of the fence you're standing... ;)