DITL Summer Project: Draft a full set of EE Blueprints?

The Next Generation
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: DITL Summer Project: Draft a full set of EE Blueprints?

Post by Tyyr »

I think AutoCAD would work best for the general blueprints. It's easy to do cookie cutter work with it.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

I have corel draw on my comp, and its pretty good. I could do a full deck in about ten minutes if I have all of the dimensions(hour if I need to measure and scale everything myself).

The only reason I'd use Autocad is if I were to do 3D work, because I can't afford it.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Grundig
Commander
Commander

Post by Grundig »

Well if you had all the dimensions, you'd pretty much have the blueprints right?
"I have nothing to say, I am saying it, and that is poetry."
John Cage
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

My eventual goal is to have a fully detailed 3-D model of every Enterprise... it will probly take a while.

As to this project, I'll supply what I have. Maybe tomorrow.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Grundig
Commander
Commander

Post by Grundig »

Cpl Kendall wrote:Maybe we can do a group thing.
I just wanted to quote that out of context.

I love floor plans and blueprints. I'm game to give it a try, though I'm a beginner in many ways.

In any case, I bet it'll be a challenge to get these plans to jive with the movie sets.
"I have nothing to say, I am saying it, and that is poetry."
John Cage
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'd love to help, but I can't even draw a straight line. :lol:

I think I've found something that could be useful for refference work, though.
The guy who does the Starfleet Museum website made up some complete blueprints for one of his ships. They seem very good to me, and I figure they could be used to give us a rough idea of the possible layout of the E-E.
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Key
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Rochey wrote:I'd love to help, but I can't even draw a straight line. :lol:

I think I've found something that could be useful for refference work, though.
The guy who does the Starfleet Museum website made up some complete blueprints for one of his ships. They seem very good to me, and I figure they could be used to give us a rough idea of the possible layout of the E-E.
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Key
Gifs. are blocked due to Bernds dislike of Hotlinking....
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Grundig wrote:This could be a really fun project. I wouldn't worry about legal issues - if fans can make entire movies and miniseries with actual actors from Trek, we can draw a couple doodles.
Yes, exactly.
I'm assuming you're talking about a group effort? That would make this much more feasible in some ways. However, there is a considerable risk of disagreement turning into argument. Still, I think it would be a really rewarding project, if those involved can collaborate effectively.
Yeah, and I was thinking we could hold discussions over each deck, kind of like our efforts to determine where the heck the q-torp turret was compared to the yacht bay, so that we could come up with the most plausible floor plans while remaining true to the original hull shape.
There is no top-down set of floor plans for the E E, from what I understand. Just an Elevation view showing a cross section of the decks. I'd really enjoy the process of filling in the missing pieces. I personally have no illustrative abilities, nor any experience with graphic design programs... but I could offer ideas, and experiment with the free software you mentioned.
Right, we'd make them up of course, we'd have to. ;)
Does anyone have links to schematics that we can look at?
I have a ton already. ;)

My problem is that I don't know anything about 2D software, and I struggle at best with 3D software. :?

And stitch, for 3D there's Blender. Not technically designed for precision modelling like a CAD program, it can still work, you just have to follow some guidlines. These tutorials should help.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

me,myself and I wrote:Gifs. are blocked due to Bernds dislike of Hotlinking....
Shit. Go here instead. Click on the bluescale plans to see what I'm talking about. The link to the key I posted in my last post still works.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Rochey wrote:
me,myself and I wrote:Gifs. are blocked due to Bernds dislike of Hotlinking....
s**t. Go here instead. Click on the bluescale plans to see what I'm talking about. The link to the key I posted in my last post still works.
Wow, that's pretty awesome.

I assume he's using Illustrator, but I bet Photoshop could also do that?

Yeah, something like this is what I was thinking of.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

While, obviously, it's far smaller than the E-E would be, I think it can be used as a sort of "what should be in the ship and where should it be" guide.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Have I ever said I love the Museum? I really really do.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Rochey wrote:While, obviously, it's far smaller than the E-E would be, I think it can be used as a sort of "what should be in the ship and where should it be" guide.
Well, I was thinking we could use the E-D blueprints as a basis as well.

So everything would be relatively similar, barring any design changes we see fit to make to make it more 'realistic' from a design standpoint.
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

What about those?

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/so ... 1701-e.php

Not deck for deck but a start maybe?
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

well, I have some skill with 2D layouts, and I've used sketchup in the past, though I'm not very good.....

This is a link to some of my 2D work on here, and this is some of my work from sketch-up (those of you that worked on teh Paladin can also find a rough 3D model of what I was thinking it would look like.)
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.