DITL Summer Project: Draft a full set of EE Blueprints?

The Next Generation
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

DITL Summer Project: Draft a full set of EE Blueprints?

Post by LaughingCheese »

Anyone else out there have Illustrator/Photoshop skills?

Well, I don't have either, but I do have Inkscape..

I was wondering, if anyone has time, if you think DITL members could work on full deck by deck blueprints for the Enterprise E, like the TNG blueprints?

Anyone have time do this? :lol:
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: DITL Summer Project: Draft a full set of EE Blueprints?

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Um, no? :|
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

I could use AutoCAD to do it, it would be so much easier as it's a drafting program, but yes, I have photoshop 6(a really old version) and would love to upgrade to CS4, I know I could just get it from limewire or something, but I have respect for Adobe and wouldn't want to cheat them out of money they deserve for their work, that said... It's $1000 for photoshop, and $1500 for the whole CS4, so, I don't plan on getting it anytime soon, however photoshop 6 works just as well.

And AutoCAD should work well for that, I would just need to look up the dimensions.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

LaughingCheese wrote:Anyone else out there have Illustrator/Photoshop skills?

Well, I don't have either, but I do have Inkscape..

I was wondering, if anyone has time, if you think DITL members could work on full deck by deck blueprints for the Enterprise E, like the TNG blueprints?

Anyone have time do this? :lol:

I have the time but not the programs nor is there enough know about the E-E IMO to get much done, unless I just make stuff up.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Cpl Kendall wrote:just make stuff up.
Sure why not, I mean if Trek can do it, why can't we, :lol:
The world ended

shran
Commander
Commander

Post by shran »

And with that, we may even fix some things, thus adding more competance. Though we may have to be weary of legal issues, plagiarizing, etc.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

shran wrote:And with that, we may even fix some things, thus adding more competance. Though we may have to be weary of legal issues, plagiarizing, etc.
Well, its not like we would be selling it.

And yeah, that's what I was thinking; we could have discussions about it and insert stuff that made sense.

Obviously we'll have to make stuff up, I don't think there's anything wrong with that, it would just be considered fan made and not canon.

However, I was thinking we could use the GCS blueprints as a guide. The Soverign is basically a Galaxy without the neck and way more streamlined.

And for anyone that doesn't have software, I don't either, but I think the GIMP and Inkscape will be sufficient.

Oh, and speaking of software, I'm not quite sure what kind of software we'd need.

GIMP is a Photoshop mirror, while Inkscape is an open source Illustrator, and then there's Scribus, which is desktop publishing.

I guess we just need to know what programs they use to make real blueprints?
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Well, I was going to work on making 3-D blueprints of the Enil (original) using Autocad. But personally, I think he E-E would be too much work as I am not experienced with it yet.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Is there a good free program for this? I'd like to try a shuttle or something first.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

There's GIMP as stated above, it's pretty good, and there are also some other ones, IDK names, I believe Inkskate is one.
The world ended

Grundig
Commander
Commander

Post by Grundig »

This could be a really fun project. I wouldn't worry about legal issues - if fans can make entire movies and miniseries with actual actors from Trek, we can draw a couple doodles.

I'm assuming you're talking about a group effort? That would make this much more feasible in some ways. However, there is a considerable risk of disagreement turning into argument. Still, I think it would be a really rewarding project, if those involved can collaborate effectively.

There is no top-down set of floor plans for the E E, from what I understand. Just an Elevation view showing a cross section of the decks. I'd really enjoy the process of filling in the missing pieces. I personally have no illustrative abilities, nor any experience with graphic design programs... but I could offer ideas, and experiment with the free software you mentioned.

Does anyone have links to schematics that we can look at?
"I have nothing to say, I am saying it, and that is poetry."
John Cage
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

I have a few gigs on my hd, to bad I can't remember where from... I'll try and find out.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Grundig
Commander
Commander

Post by Grundig »

Time to sign up for Photobucket, Stitch my friend. :P Or, an ftp service...
"I have nothing to say, I am saying it, and that is poetry."
John Cage
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Well I snagged GIMP, Inkscape and Sketchup. I'll see what they can do. Maybe we can do a group thing.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Grundig wrote:Time to sign up for Photobucket, Stitch my friend. :P Or, an ftp service...
I have a photobucket account, I just can't remember my username or password or the email address I used to sign up with... maybe I'll just get another one.