Vulcan colonies and super-strength

The Next Generation
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Vulcan colonies and super-strength

Post by Vic »

What? Boobs? NO!!
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Vic wrote:What? Boobs? NO!!
Um... Yes?
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

Have hair?!?!
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Vic wrote:Have hair?!?!
Ah, gotcha. Hopefully not. :lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Where's that bloody vomiting emoticon gone. :|
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
steamrunner
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by steamrunner »

Gotta love the Periodic Chart of Star Trek Babes! Sorry, guys, Yeoman Janice Rand is da bomb(shell)...
"If? If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle..."
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

Absodamnlutly!! :Drool2:
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Rand, not even top five.
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

Well, I imagine there would be a lot of competition even just in TOS. How about Kelinda the Kelvan (a, b, c)?
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I don't know if this was mentioned, (I'll be honest, at this point I'm skimming) but if a human colonized a world with say .5g, he'd develop all kind of medical problems over the long term. Probably true of Vulcans as well. With they're extended life span yeah they could live on Earth for 20 or 30 years, but say after a century or a century and a half, wouldn't muscle and bone degradation set in? They likely HAVE to stick to a certain "G" range
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Mark wrote:I don't know if this was mentioned, (I'll be honest, at this point I'm skimming) but if a human colonized a world with say .5g, he'd develop all kind of medical problems over the long term. Probably true of Vulcans as well. With they're extended life span yeah they could live on Earth for 20 or 30 years, but say after a century or a century and a half, wouldn't muscle and bone degradation set in? They likely HAVE to stick to a certain "G" range
Considering that artificial gravity is pretty standard tech, if such is the case, then it should be easy enough to fix by laying some gravity plating (or whatever exactly is used) in said person's house and adjusting it to their homeworld norm. That way when they are home they are under "natural" gravity.
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

Mark wrote:I don't know if this was mentioned, (I'll be honest, at this point I'm skimming) but if a human colonized a world with say .5g, he'd develop all kind of medical problems over the long term. Probably true of Vulcans as well. With they're extended life span yeah they could live on Earth for 20 or 30 years, but say after a century or a century and a half, wouldn't muscle and bone degradation set in? They likely HAVE to stick to a certain "G" range
Well, we don't really know what the acceptable range is. Certainly living for years on a planet with .5 g would cause trouble for humans, but maybe at .8 g or .9 g the long-term effects would be negligible. As I wrote earlier in the thread, the difference in gravity between Earth and Vulcan couldn't be very great: humans appear to walk normally when they're on Vulcan, and Vulcans appear to walk normally when they're in Earth gravity (it's all filmed on Earth with human actors, after all), and both species are about the same height and build.

I would add that on ENT they did mention a drug called myofibrilin to compensate for microgravity.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

How different would technology evolve on a planet with say, 1.25 times the gravity of Earth?

Would planes have to move faster to stay aloft? Or buildings be slightly different due to materials not being strong enough? Would it have a noticable delay on how long technology takes to evolve?
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Lazar wrote:
As I wrote earlier in the thread, the difference in gravity between Earth and Vulcan couldn't be very great: humans appear to walk normally when they're on Vulcan, and Vulcans appear to walk normally when they're in Earth gravity (it's all filmed on Earth with human actors, after all), and both species are about the same height and build.
Interesting point. How would walking in higher Gs feel? To answer, when I was 16 I went to Space Camp, and we went into the "gravitron" (the machine that spins you to increase the Gs) At a certain point, while the room was spinning, they let us move around on the "walls" and I can say for sure that even a 1.G difference is quite noticeable. Your body feels leaden, uncoordinated, and just plain "off".

I would imagine that while you could move around, traveling any distance would be exhausting and physically taxing (ie muscle pulls, stress fractures and so forth)

On the flip side, if you evolved on a world like Vulcan (isn't it 2.g?) and went to Earth, your legs would be so powerful your steps would seem like leaps? After all, this is what happens to moon walkers. And until you acclimated, you'd have all sorts of accidents due to a lack of coordination.

Of course in Trek where ALL planets are really in LA, the actors don't have this problem :lol:
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Mark wrote:...Of course in Trek where ALL planets are really in LA, the actors don't have this problem :lol:
:lol: