Vulcan colonies and super-strength

The Next Generation
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Vulcan colonies and super-strength

Post by Granitehewer »

hey
If vulcans have their imposing physical strength due to the intricacies of the gravitational forces on their homeworld, would this be true of vulcans born on their colonies, with ancestors stemming back to the first pioneers on those worlds?
I'm assuming so as even if there were selection pressures favouring a lesser physique, surely it would take tens of thousands of years to occurm due to gestation periods etc.
Thus why is it assumed that the romulans don't have the vulcan super-strength, as even accounting for genetic drift and the founder effect, the timeframe is too short?
The only time i recall seeing rommies in fisticuffs was 'visionary' and even then half were holding their own and actually beating their klingon opponents.
Does anyone think that the vulcan super-strength may in part be due to their mental discipline, a sort of chi if you will?
regards as always
pete
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Vulcan colonies and super-strength

Post by Mikey »

I had always heard it described (obliquely) as being related to the gravity and harshness of Vulcan. Of course, as you say, that was brought about by the environmental pressures of many millenia, and wouldn't be "bred out" by a few centuries on a lower-g colony world.

When did Romulus split from Vulcan? If it was early enough, the vaunted Vulcan strength might not have been present in its full, modern form. Alternatively, if Romulus has a high degree of natural radiation, natural selection may have favored other traits that appeared in pools which may not have had the same physical strenght, yet those genomes would have been passed on as that strength was no longer necessary to pass the screening process of natural selection.

Of course, you could also be right about the Vulcans being able to deliver a silent mental "kiai" with every blow.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Praeothmin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Praeothmin »

Although in the new ST movie, the Romulans and Vulcans both have super strength, as demonstrated in the fights against Kirk...

Also, who's to say the Vulcans didn't select colonies with gravities and climate similar to the one on Vulcan?
The truth always depends on which side of the fence you're standing... ;)
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

true but in choosing colonies and outposts, gravitational forces may not have been the priority as long as are within acceptable limits, as vulcans have been shown to tolerate lower gravities
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
Praeothmin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Praeothmin »

They can indeed tolerate smaller gravities, but I imagine that when you establish a colony, you do it for the long run, in the hope of develloping a long-lasting community, so you'll want worlds that closely resemble your home, at least in the most basic way...

They probably aren't all like Vulcan, but I would imagine most of them would be...
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

the only one i remember was p'jem, and noone mentioned the gravity as far as i know
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

Granitehewer wrote:If vulcans have their imposing physical strength due to the intricacies of the gravitational forces on their homeworld, would this be true of vulcans born on their colonies, with ancestors stemming back to the first pioneers on those worlds?
That's also a big question I have when people talk about humans colonizing Mars: some sci-fi authors have suggested that the humans there would become tall, frail and gracile, and unable to withstand Earth gravity. (Of course, Earth and Vulcan don't appear to be too different in terms of mass or gravity, because humans don't seem to have much trouble when they're on Vulcan.)
I'm assuming so as even if there were selection pressures favouring a lesser physique, surely it would take tens of thousands of years to occurm due to gestation periods etc.
But physique isn't all genetic - fetal development and environmental conditions would play an important role too.
Thus why is it assumed that the romulans don't have the vulcan super-strength, as even accounting for genetic drift and the founder effect, the timeframe is too short?
In STXI, at least, it appeared that the Romulans had Vulcan-like superhuman strength.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

I like to think vulcan strength and speed are result of their mental capabilities.

Some people theorize that when a person is subjected to extreme situations of great stress, anger, fear or somethin like that, could demonstrate to posses superhuman capabilities for short periods; so what happends with a person who is abble to control those and any other feelings at (and for) any given time? and it suppose vulcan feelings are even more intense than human feelings, so you could have a guy whit superhuman strength. Plus we don´t really know if vulcan superior strenght is a permanent state of being or something they manifest at will for relatively short periods of time.

I guees it could be a convination: the great mental development and discipline with the harsh enviroment.

About romulans, it is demonstrated they are very different from vulcans and they have never show super strength or speed, except for that scene in the new movie but i guees Ayel could be a really angry and strong guy.
Last edited by SomosFuga on Thu May 14, 2009 11:49 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

TBH, I always have seen Vulcan strength as a genetic feature. Same with the ears.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Praeothmin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Praeothmin »

SomosFuga wrote:About romulans, it is demonstrated they are very different from vulcans and they have never show super strength or speed, except for that scene in the new movie but i guees Ayel could be a really angry and strong guy.
Except that it has been stated in TOS that they are of Vulcan ancestry, and shere the same physiology.

And if we go only by what is shown, the Klingons aren't tough at all, and have human strength, except for Worf who's shown us a few times how much stronger then a human he was (especially on Risa when he picks up the human like the rommie did in ST XI).

It's been established in many series that Vulcans had superior strength to humans, and that they had Vulcan ancestors, so just because it was never clearly shown, doesn't mean it never existed, just like Worf's superior strength...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

As I've demonstrated though, there are a number of factors why the genetic component of Vulcan strength may have faded from the Romulan genome.
Lazar wrote:Of course, Earth and Vulcan don't appear to be too different in terms of mass or gravity, because humans don't seem to have much trouble when they're on Vulcan
Witness the ENT ep in which Archer became the reincarnation of Surak - as they trekked through the desert, T'pol made a comment about how the gravity and conditions would take a greater toll on a human than on a Vulcan.
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Took a greater toll over an extended time, yeah. But for the most part, Archer was able to move around without any problems, other than being very hot.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Well, I never said that she claimed he would collapse like a pile of filings on a magnet.

Now, considering T'pol's appearance and Vulcan's reputed gravity, what the hell must her bras have been made of?
as Bull offed Custer
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mikey wrote:Well, I never said that she claimed he would collapse like a pile of filings on a magnet.

Now, considering T'pol's appearance and Vulcan's reputed gravity, what the hell must her bras have been made of?
Clearly T'Pol had titanium reinforced implants...
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

Praeothmin wrote:
SomosFuga wrote:About romulans, it is demonstrated they are very different from vulcans and they have never show super strength or speed, except for that scene in the new movie but i guees Ayel could be a really angry and strong guy.
Except that it has been stated in TOS that they are of Vulcan ancestry, and shere the same physiology.

And if we go only by what is shown, the Klingons aren't tough at all, and have human strength, except for Worf who's shown us a few times how much stronger then a human he was (especially on Risa when he picks up the human like the rommie did in ST XI).

It's been established in many series that Vulcans had superior strength to humans, and that they had Vulcan ancestors, so just because it was never clearly shown, doesn't mean it never existed, just like Worf's superior strength...
Ok, romulans are of vulcan ancestry but they don´t share the exactly same physiology.
On TNG ep "The Enemy" Crusher sayd the only compatible donor for the romulan Patahk was Worf, a klingon, why not a vulcan crew member? acording to Memory Alpha there were vulcans on enterprise at the time of that ep (2366).

"Despite their common ancestry there were also many subtle internal physiological differences between Vulcans and Romulans. This was evidenced in Dr. Beverly Crusher's failed attempt to treat a Romulan, Patahk, who had suffered advanced synaptic breakdown, with the methods used to treat Vulcans." from Memory Alpha.

Another difference a can thik of now are the telepathic abilities, i don´t remember any romulan using telepathy.
Question: the romulans undergo pon far? don´t remember .

I am not saying romulans don´t have superior strength, i am just saying that we have never saw it or even heard of it, "clearly" or not.
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!