Vulcan colonies and super-strength

The Next Generation
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Vulcan colonies and super-strength

Post by Sionnach Glic »

kostmayer wrote:How different would technology evolve on a planet with say, 1.25 times the gravity of Earth?

Would planes have to move faster to stay aloft? Or buildings be slightly different due to materials not being strong enough? Would it have a noticable delay on how long technology takes to evolve?
Aircraft would have to be made different (indeed, depending on how strong the gravity is heavier-than-air flight may be impossible), as would any large structures such as bridges and skyscrapers.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Aircraft materials would have to be lighter for sure. Engine design would have to be more developed than the ones we had in early 20th century.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Higher gravity, more reliance upon things like bi-planes and tri-planes. More than likely the aerial revolution comes a bit later when engine tech can produce more power per pound.
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

And what would happend with things like air density? a planet with higher gravity would have a denser and thicker atmosphere.

The life forms would be different even with little increase in gravity. A humanoid species (if possible) should probbably be shorter and bulkier with more muscle and bone density.
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

But in the Federation, almost all species look like they are from the San Bernadino Vally anyway, so....................

But seriously, I think we'd need to be talking about more than 2Gs to get that kind of evolutionary effect.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

1.25 just isn't going to be a massive change. You might get the impression everything is a bit bulkier but overall it would be pretty familar. Heck, if you're willing to operate with a slightly reduced factor of safety most of our constructs could work just fine in 1.25G.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Aircraft may not have to be too different. Depends on the atmospheric density. Denser air would produce more lift due to the Bernoulli principle for a given airfoil than in standard Earth 1 atm, therefore offsetting somewhat the greater gravity.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Denser atmosphere greater drag though. You still need more engine power.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Tyyr wrote:Denser atmosphere greater drag though. You still need more engine power.
True enough. Guess I wasn't considering all four forces at work.
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Denser alone is sort of a wash. You'll likely be slower but in general flight should still be possible without any huge change in the engine. Denser with higher gravity means the same engine size is probably not going to cut it.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Wouldn't have to propel the craft as fast, though - with a denser atmosphere, stall speed for a given aircraft would likely be lower.
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

That's what I was hinting at.

The problem is the gravity is working against you. While a denser atmosphere is helping create more lift for a given speed the drag is reducing your velocity and the gravity is making you need more lift. It's a double whammy. Just denser atmosphere doesn't work out to badly.