In another time, maybe.......

The Next Generation
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

In another time, maybe.......

Post by Granitehewer »

This follows some positive and productive emails i had with Bernd of ex astris scientia and wondered what you guys thought.
Asides from klingon propaganda, the romulans have many commonalities with the klingons, both in martial spirit, candour and in a flexible somewhat pragmatic code of honour.
Do you think that in another situation, say where the klingons are openly hostile to the federation and other powers, that the romulan star empire and federation might ally, enjoying more cordial relations, perhaps initially stemming from a deterrance to maintain a balance of power?
Since 'redemption' and 'tacking into the wind', where its acknowledged that various klingon chancellors rewrite history, and the assurance of the romulan commander in 'the changing face of evil' that the romulans unlike the klingons, keep their word, if we put aside the treacherous image of romulans, does anyone see the possibility of an alliance? (section 31 did afterall penetrate the highest eschelons of the tal shiar, namely koval)
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: In another time, maybe.......

Post by Mikey »

Granitehewer wrote:candour
Really? I don't see that at all.

Anyway - yes. I could very easily envision such an alliance. Especially with the advent of S31, the lines between UFP and RSE have blurred somewhat. Add events such as that of TNG: "The Defector" as well as the RSE's eventual crossing of their non-aggression treaty with the Dominion, and it doesn't seem much of a stretch at all.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

i was inspired by the final line by the romulan commander in ''the chase'', one day..... or something like that
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

Granitehewer wrote:Asides from klingon propaganda, the romulans have many commonalities with the klingons, both in martial spirit, candour and in a flexible somewhat pragmatic code of honour.
One problem, as I understand it, is that there has been some conflation between the two cultures ever since STIII, when they substituted Klingons for Romulans during the production process. Originally, the Romulans were portrayed as the honorable warrior race, and the Klingons as the devious realists, but in modern Trek the depictions seemed to become opposite - even to the extent of Klingons using "birds of prey" and cloaking devices. Some people have conjectured, based on the Romulan use of D7s in "The Enterprise Incident" and the Klingon use of cloaking devices later on, that they made an alliance in the 2260s and exchanged technology, but then had a falling out, like the Soviets and the Chinese.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

in-universe perspective please my man.
There are honourable romulans portrayed in 'trek like jarok ('the defector'), tokath ('birthright'), n'vek ('face of the enemy'), many others. Both races have had honourable and dishonourable characters portrayed eg j'dan ('the drumhead'),kell ('the minds' eye'), rather than any role reversal, for example in 'balance of terror' we had the world-weary honourbound centurion dealing with the machievellian scheming decius.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

THey're similar in that they're both races that have been in space for a long time with an imperialistic attitude and a long tradition of martial success and a very prevalent honour code. Similarly, they're not above ignoring their codes of honour and participating in back-stabbing plots when it suits them.

Of course, that description could stand for virtualy any Trek race, with a few exceptions.

Yeah, I can maybe see an alliance of necessity coming about. Particularly if their enemies continue to gain power.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

In a discussion of Romulan honour, and a Romulan-Federation alliance, I can't believe this hasn't been brought up:
KIRK: Captain. Standing by to beam your survivors aboard our ship. Prepare to abandon your vessel.
COMMANDER: No. No, that is not our way. I regret that we meet in this way. You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend.
KIRK: What purpose will it serve to die?
COMMANDER: We are creatures of duty, Captain. I have lived my life by it. Just one more duty to perform.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

good quote!
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Indeed. Nicely put, Seafort.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

The Romulans did seem a lot more honourable in those days - I have to say I much prefer them that way. Perhaps the older, more honorable and dutiful officers were ultimately replaced by the more ambitious, scheming types such as the one who was demoted in Balance of Power.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

thats what happens in Diane Duanes' ''The Rihannsu''.
I like it.RL cultures evolve and change over time,so 'trek ones should too.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I was always kind of surprised the Klingons and Romulans never somehow made a longer standing alliance...............or one been conquered by the other.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.