The Son'a and the Bak'u

The Next Generation
Revan
Petty officer second class

The Son'a and the Bak'u

Post by Revan »

This may seem very silly, but I was wondering, why were the Son'a falling apart at the seams?

Had they, at some point between their exodus from the Briar Patch and the events in Insurrection in 2375, come into contact with some terrible disease?

My question is: Were they exposed to something in their travels, or was their cellular degredation caused by their leaving the Briar Patch? Does leaving the "Fountain of Youth" cause some sort of withdrawal?

I would understand if this question has no answer, or if it was simnply never answered... bu I was just wondering...
The Dark Side is a pathway to many abilities some would consider unnatural.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

I don't believe it was ever stated in the movie. I just assumed that it was caused by their eventual withdrawl from the effects of the planet. Frankly I try not to think about it, the movie was stupid enough as it was.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

You're right, Kendall. They didn't bother to explain it. Of course, they hardly explained anything in that film, so I'm not surprised.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Rochey wrote:You're right, Kendall. They didn't bother to explain it. Of course, they hardly explained anything in that film, so I'm not surprised.
Nonsense they explained how the transport inhibitors worked in great detail - they inhibit transport.

Amd they explained the exact properties of metrion gas before the Riker Manoeuvre - it's "highly volitul".

:wink:
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

I think the Sona just began ageing normally and were prolonging their death as much as possible. However they still desired eternal youth that they remembered.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Nonsense they explained how the transport inhibitors worked in great detail - they inhibit transport.

Amd they explained the exact properties of metrion gas before the Riker Manoeuvre - it's "highly volitul".
:lol:
I think the Sona just began ageing normally and were prolonging their death as much as possible. However they still desired eternal youth that they remembered.
Like some sort of weird organ transplant?

I sitll think Agony Booths review of the film was both hilarious and true...
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Revan

Post by Revan »

I have no problem with this film... I thought it was fine... not bad or good really, just kinda there to be viewed.

I assumed that the Son'a had been experimenting with something to prolong their lives (an act with which they seemed obsessed), and ended up severely damaging their systems. They had to keep purifying their blood and covering the outward symptoms by stretching their skin...

It did not occur to me, until today, that it may have been radiation withdrawal from the Briar Patch... but I still do not think it was withdrawal.
MetalHead
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by MetalHead »

Revan wrote:I have no problem with this film... I thought it was fine... not bad or good really, just kinda there to be viewed.

I assumed that the Son'a had been experimenting with something to prolong their lives (an act with which they seemed obsessed), and ended up severely damaging their systems. They had to keep purifying their blood and covering the outward symptoms by stretching their skin...

It did not occur to me, until today, that it may have been radiation withdrawal from the Briar Patch... but I still do not think it was withdrawal.
Insurrection was, at least, entertaining.

Also, The Son'a I thought were similar to the vidians in voyager, in that they had some probolem with their bodies that caused them to die faster in certian places?
"Beware what you intend to say, those words will always make you pay." - Soilwork

Booze and Strippers!
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I think it was just them aging natrally and since they had been trying to prolong there lives it was not working anymore.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Revan

Post by Revan »

Teaos wrote:I think it was just them aging natrally and since they had been trying to prolong there lives it was not working anymore.
Then what caused the toxicity in their blood? Their attempts at prolonged life?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Maybe because their lives had been prolonged by the planet for so long that was their body catching up on the aging thus flooding them with bad stuff.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Revan

Post by Revan »

Teaos wrote:Maybe because their lives had been prolonged by the planet for so long that was their body catching up on the aging thus flooding them with bad stuff.
I thought the planet just promoted advanced cell regeneration. I don't think the Bak'u would stay there if there was the chance they would be doomed to be stuck there forever. For that matter, I don't think Picard would take his 360 days of shore-leave there if there was the risk of him being stuck there.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

This is just speculation but the effect would be cumulative. The longer your there the worst it will be for you when you leave. Part of the reason may also be because the Son'a tried to prolong their lives making it worse for themselves.

Revan

Post by Revan »

Teaos wrote:This is just speculation but the effect would be cumulative. The longer your there the worst it will be for you when you leave. Part of the reason may also be because the Son'a tried to prolong their lives making it worse for themselves.
I do not believe that planet has any detrimental effects, short or long-term.

After reading all opinions on the matter, I have concluded that the Son'a probably became exposed to something that caused the illness...

I do not think it would have been their own experimentation, because their entire race is infected, and not just a few people.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

The son'a's subject races could become a nifty little empire of their own if they keep on building those battleships of theirs. With some better shields and armor the things would make one heck of a ship of the line.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu