The Son'a and the Bak'u

The Next Generation
Revan
Petty officer second class
Petty officer second class

Post by Revan »

Ruafo wasn't in command of all Son'a forces, was he?

I remember they were mentioned in DS9...

If he wasn't their supreme commander... what do you think the supreme commander did when he found out Ruafo was dead, his mission was a failure, and one of their battleships was destroyed and another critically damaged...?
The Dark Side is a pathway to many abilities some would consider unnatural.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I had always assumed that the syptoms exhibited by the Son'a were just a case of extreme old age, brought on by their obsessive attempts to prolong life after losing the natural effects of their homeworld. The need to purify the blood, for example, could be induced by the body artificially outliving the "service life" of the kidneys - or whatever analagous organ the Son'a have.

The Son'a were described as manufacturers of Ketracel White. With the withdrawal of the Dominion from the Alpha Quadrant, if that was the Son'a's major industry, I think there will be little seen of them again.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Chris Propst
Senior chief petty officer

Re:

Post by Chris Propst »

Mikey wrote:I had always assumed that the syptoms exhibited by the Son'a were just a case of extreme old age, brought on by their obsessive attempts to prolong life after losing the natural effects of their homeworld. The need to purify the blood, for example, could be induced by the body artificially outliving the "service life" of the kidneys - or whatever analagous organ the Son'a have.

The Son'a were described as manufacturers of Ketracel White. With the withdrawal of the Dominion from the Alpha Quadrant, if that was the Son'a's major industry, I think there will be little seen of them again.
Speaking of, what was the deal with the Son'a being potentially Dominion members and the Federation doing business with them? That never really made sense to me. I can understand the Federation doing business with a questionable power, but with, oh, THE PEOPLE THEY'RE AT WAR WITH, it doesn't really make much sense. I see this as a big problem, one we saw again in Nemesis, which was ignoring the Dominion War and the signficant events of Alpha Quadrant politics established in DS9.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: The Son'a and the Bak'u

Post by Teaos »

I believe they said it was a possibility but never confirmed.

The whole point of doing business was to stop them joining the Dominion, keep yor friends close and your enemies closer.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Chris Propst

Post by Chris Propst »

That's an interesting explanation. But even then, I just can't shake the feeling that when they wrote Insurrection they just asked someone who had seen Deep Space Nine something about the villians and didn't understand the full scope of the Dominion War and how it related to the plotline. But you never know. Of course, this gets us into the whole discussion about why there's no indication that the Enterprise-E, presumably Starfleet's finest, was never suggested to have served in the war. I can understand the idea that they didn't want to show all their cards, but given the apparent desparation that the Federation reached it becomes hard to believe.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Well I know there are non canon books that has the E-E involved in the war.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Wow, this is one old topic.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
shran
Commander
Commander

Post by shran »

Yay, we advanced to the age where we can actually necro dead topics!
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

No we haven't! :P
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
shran
Commander
Commander

Post by shran »

I already did once with my thread, now he does it with other threads.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I did it with the TR116 topic............hmmmm now that I think about it :mrgreen:
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Yeah but we fixed that back to its old self. Our sacred thread.

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

And then Mark went and defiled it!
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Twas early on while I was still misguided and idealistic. When I thought a topic should be on topic....................... :mrgreen:
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Mark wrote:Twas early on while I was still misguided and idealistic. When I thought a topic should be on topic....................... :mrgreen:
So, about 30 seconds after you joined, then? :lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939