Why did Nemesis lose to Insurrection???

The Next Generation
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Why did Nemesis lose to Insurrection???

Post by Sionnach Glic »

There's nothing wrong with wheeled vehicles. They're cheaper and simpler to maintain, have better braking ability and stability (due to actualy having contact with the ground) and don't have to worry about keeping the vehicle light.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Yeah, the fact of the buggy being wheeled wasn't an issue for me. If it needed to be airmobile, they had the attached shuttle; and a wheeled vehicle has the advantages listed above, plus emitting a lower sensor signature and much easier field maintenance.

The fact that it offered less protection to its occupants than a Harley-Davidson ElectraGlide was another issue, though...
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Ok, good points.

I was thinking more "aesthetically" in universe though; since Star Wars has hover vehicles all over the place, and seems to even make a mockery of effortlessly floating around, I would have expected late 24th century Federation to have similar technology.

Warsians do have mechs though....:?

Guess maybe they're smarter. :lol:
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Not really. Mechs are the worst types of combat vehicles you can think of. The only one that was a somewhat good design was the AT-TE.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Mikey wrote: The fact that it offered less protection to its occupants than a Harley-Davidson ElectraGlide was another issue, though...
The Jeep wasn't much better and yet they were the most ubiquitous army transportation at one time or another. I just figured the Argo vehicle was the 24th century equivalent of the jeep, used for quick transportation through "relatively" safe areas, and yet can be equipped with a machine gun (see phaser cannon) if necessary.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

The Jeep was a transport/staff vehicle - it could carry more people than the Argo, had a much better payload, and had much better protection (i.e four walls). The Argo has it's role, but only as a very light patrol/reconnaissance vehicle in relatively safe areas. As a transport, a combat vehicle, or if used for reconnaissance in even moderately dangerous areas, it's either useless or worse.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

The only part of a Jeep that would offer much protection would be then engine block. About the only thing a Jeep's body would protect you from is bullets or shell fragments at long range. Even then it left most of your body exposed above the hips. It's pretty much what you described the Argo as being.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Tyyr wrote:The only part of a Jeep that would offer much protection would be then engine block. About the only thing a Jeep's body would protect you from is bullets or shell fragments at long range. Even then it left most of your body exposed above the hips. It's pretty much what you described the Argo as being.
Allow me to illustrate:

There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Ya know, with the Argo's land vehicle there's at least the possibility of attaching more significant armor to the thing if hostile contact is suspected to be a possibility.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Tsu & Tyyr wrote:*snip description and pic*
I was thinking about the enclosed version, which would have no chance of stopping bullets, although splinters from distant artillery strikes might be. Either way, my point that it offers better protection than the Argo's open frame stands.
Tyyr wrote:Ya know, with the Argo's land vehicle there's at least the possibility of attaching more significant armor to the thing if hostile contact is suspected to be a possibility.
Unlikely - the way the thing bounces about shows that it has a high centre of gravity as it is. Adding armour to that would make it even more unstable. Overall, it's short-ranged, has no offensive armament, and is unprotected. In some circumstances it would be useful, but on the whole the Pink Panther is a vastly superior vehicle.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

The fact that the only gun is mounted in such a way that it can only fire backwards would also limit it from being very effective in combat.
I see it as a recon vehicle. Built light and fast to outrun pursuers, with its gun angle to the rear to discourage anyone following too close.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Rochey wrote:The fact that the only gun is mounted in such a way that it can only fire backwards would also limit it from being very effective in combat.
I see it as a recon vehicle. Built light and fast to outrun pursuers, with its gun angle to the rear to discourage anyone following too close.
Isn't that what they used it for?
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

me,myself and I wrote:
Mikey wrote: The fact that it offered less protection to its occupants than a Harley-Davidson ElectraGlide was another issue, though...
The Jeep wasn't much better and yet they were the most ubiquitous army transportation at one time or another. I just figured the Argo vehicle was the 24th century equivalent of the jeep, used for quick transportation through "relatively" safe areas, and yet can be equipped with a machine gun (see phaser cannon) if necessary.
The Willy's was ubiquitous indeed - for its role, as Seafort mentioned. For transporting people in more safety, the Jeep wasn't used at all, because there was the almost-as-ubiquitous half-track. A better example is the modern Humvee, which soldiers routinely mod, at the expense of speed and payload, to offer any sort of protection at all.
LaughingCheese wrote:I would have expected late 24th century Federation to have similar technology.
Why? What's the correlation between the 'Wars universe and the 24th century UFP?
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Possibly the gun had a telescopic mount, so it COULD have been raised to shoot over the front of the vehicle?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Mark wrote:Possibly the gun had a telescopic mount, so it COULD have been raised to shoot over the front of the vehicle?
It was pintle-mounted - if you raised it like that, how would you operate it?
as Bull offed Custer