Why did Nemesis lose to Insurrection???

The Next Generation
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Why did Nemesis lose to Insurrection???

Post by LaughingCheese »

I was just looking at the budgets and revenues for the Star Trek movies on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Star_Trek_films

I can't believe Nemesis lost to Insurrection.

I loved Nemesis but I thought Insurrection was rather mediocre.

Guess I was in the minority, but why?!
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Why did Nemesis lose to Insurrection???

Post by Mikey »

There were as many holes in NEM as in INS, but the generality that comes into play is as follows: if film "A" is of substandard quality, that fact will not affect the initial take of film "A" - people will still at first need to see it to tell it's not so good. However, that will have a concrete effect on the sequel, as people will remember the issues of film "A."

In like manner, if the prequel to "A" is good, it will help produce a decent initial take for "A."
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

People were pretty burnt out on 'Trek at that point, with the mediocrity of Insurrection, and the "screw you, canon" of Enterprise. At least, that's my take on it.

TMP had a budget of $46 million!? Where'd all that money go? Shatner's hairpiece?
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Praeothmin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Praeothmin »

I preferred Nemesis over Insurrection as well, but I belive that Tsuki and Mikey have hit on target:

Insurrection was bad, so the Non-Trek moviegoers probably weren't insterested in Nemesis, fearing it was the same, and the Trek Fans were just starting to lose faith I guess...
The truth always depends on which side of the fence you're standing... ;)
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Tsukiyumi wrote:TMP had a budget of $46 million!? Where'd all that money go? Shatner's hairpiece?
TMP's SFX were exceptional, especially for the time. The plot may have been pretty "meh", but the look, with the refit-Connie, V'Ger, the wormhole scene, etc, was very impressive.
LaughingCheese wrote:I can't believe Nemesis lost to Insurrection.

Guess I was in the minority, but why?!
As well as the reasons others have pointed out, Nemesis was also up against Star Wars (AotC) and Lord of the Rings (The Two Towers :[).
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:TMP's SFX were exceptional, especially for the time. The plot may have been pretty "meh", but the look, with the refit-Connie, V'Ger, the wormhole scene, etc, was very impressive.
Very true. Remember, there was no relatively-cheap CGI - all those FX were models, lighting, and green-screen.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

That's just reminded me of something I read about Escape from New York a couple of days ago when it was on tv. There was a scene where a computer displayed a 3-d wire frame model of the City, but computers capable of generating an image like that were to expensive. The FX team instead built a model of the city, painted it black, and attached bright white tape to it, then flew a camera through the model.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Wow. And now, my screensaver can do that.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

What screen saver is that?

Oh, it probably didn't help that Nemesis would have been an awful as just a TV episode. As a movie it sucked harder than Cygnus X-1
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Tyyr wrote:What screen saver is that?
Well, there's Beziers, or Mystify. They both come with Windows.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Tsukiyumi wrote:People were pretty burnt out on 'Trek at that point, with the mediocrity of Insurrection, and the "screw you, canon" of Enterprise. At least, that's my take on it.

TMP had a budget of $46 million!? Where'd all that money go? Shatner's hairpiece?
Part of it was absorbing the cost of the aborted Phase II project. The special effects where also excellent for the time (still are), they really had to up the ante to stand next to what SW brought us.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I just found it amusing that TMP cost more than First Contact. :lol:
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Tsukiyumi wrote:I just found it amusing that TMP cost more than First Contact. :lol:
It did? That's just messed up! :bangwall:
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Under the OP's link; FC cost $45 million. Only INS, NEM, and the new film cost more than TMP.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

That doesn't surprise me. At the time, those effects would have cost a shitload due to the fact that they were so new and advanced.
By the time of FC, the effects they were using weren't all that expensive to use. They weren't new, and as far as the directors were concerned, they didn't need to be.

Adjust those numbers for inflation, and it gets even worse.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"