Why did Nemesis lose to Insurrection???

The Next Generation
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Why did Nemesis lose to Insurrection???

Post by LaughingCheese »

Mikey wrote: Why? What's the correlation between the 'Wars universe and the 24th century UFP?
Oh, like I said, I was just comparing aesthetics.

Hover vehicles seem more advanced, and the Federation seems pretty advanced as well, so I would have thought manipulating gravity would be easy pie for them.

Wheeled vehicles just seem less advanced, again, aesthetically for a sci fi universe.

Just a preconception I guess. :?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Thing is, simple sollutions are the best sollutions. Why spend time fucking around with a delicate, tempermental and expensive anti-gravity system when four wheels and a motor will do the job just fine?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

LaughingCheese wrote:Hover vehicles seem more advanced, and the Federation seems pretty advanced as well, so I would have thought manipulating gravity would be easy pie for them.
They do have AG technology, as evidenced by the anti-grav hand trucks, etc., we've seen in various cargo bays. However, for reasons already posted just being able to do something doesn't mean that it's the best sloution to a problem.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Yeah, It's a lot easier to stop a car from going over a cliff, than an anti-grav driven vehicle.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

I'd be more impressed with the Argo if they had an off-hand comment about new frictionless wheel bearings or that you didn't need to grease it then if they had shoved a generic Sci-Fi hover truck in there. I like the Argo well enough but something like that might have driven home that it was a future "space truck" or something. I dunno if that made sense or not.
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

Cpl Kendall wrote:I'd be more impressed with the Argo if they had an off-hand comment about new frictionless wheel bearings or that you didn't need to grease it then if they had shoved a generic Sci-Fi hover truck in there. I like the Argo well enough but something like that might have driven home that it was a future "space truck" or something. I dunno if that made sense or not.
Why? Just add a few screen displays (a sensor to find the pieces of the robot) showing the status of the vehicle, make it shiny, and slap a Federation logo on it. Tone down the overexposure so people can see the screen easily, and have Data use it to plot a route to each piece. Add a text line about Enterprise data relay, so they can see the other vehicles closing. Add lots of vehicles on the map, so they have an incentive to leave.

Or just pay a few extra bucks to the special effects crew, add an off-hand comment about magnetic diverters, and that would explain the poor accuracy of the guys following them. Have tracers being diverted to the sides slightly, but also remark that the diverter can't handle too much mass. As the chase goes on, the tracers get closer and closer, and have a ricochet bounce off near Worf. They then get away.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Coalition wrote:
Why? Just add a few screen displays (a sensor to find the pieces of the robot) showing the status of the vehicle, make it shiny, and slap a Federation logo on it. Tone down the overexposure so people can see the screen easily, and have Data use it to plot a route to each piece. Add a text line about Enterprise data relay, so they can see the other vehicles closing. Add lots of vehicles on the map, so they have an incentive to leave.

Or just pay a few extra bucks to the special effects crew, add an off-hand comment about magnetic diverters, and that would explain the poor accuracy of the guys following them. Have tracers being diverted to the sides slightly, but also remark that the diverter can't handle too much mass. As the chase goes on, the tracers get closer and closer, and have a ricochet bounce off near Worf. They then get away.
For starters, an off-hand comment costs nothing unless they pay Spiner or Burton by the word.
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

Cpl Kendall wrote:For starters, an off-hand comment costs nothing unless they pay Spiner or Burton by the word.
Good point, I hadn't thought of that.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Cpl Kendall wrote:For starters, an off-hand comment costs nothing unless they pay Spiner or Burton by the word.
Picard: "Data be quiet, this episode is already over budget."
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

:lol:
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I think Nemesis just bombed was because it was too far removed. The series had been off the air for a while and people had just moved on. New viewers weren't going to see it, and that was just that.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

NEM bombed because it sucked, and didn't try to attract a new audience.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Rochey wrote:NEM bombed because it sucked, and didn't try to attract a new audience.
Nor did INS. Even a film that sucks won't bomb if there is a content pre-made audience. NEM bombed because its pre-made audience (i.e., Trekkies) were already dissatisfied with the previous effort.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Fair point.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I remember I brought a girl I was trying to date to see INS; she wasn't really a 'Trek fan, and she'd only seen a few dozen eps of DS9.

She fell asleep.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939