Sovereign class

The Next Generation
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Sovereign class

Post by Teaos »

The Star of the latter TNG films and IMO the single most beautiful Star ship design seen in trek.

Graham said it best when he said "I looks like it is moving at warp 5 even when its standing still"

Powerful yet graceful. Funtional but also lives up to Star fleets high standards or crew comfort.

Love it? hate it?
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Re: Sovereign class

Post by Bryan Moore »

Teaos wrote:Graham said it best when he said "I looks like it is moving at warp 5 even when its standing still"
I could be incorrect but I think that came from the novel "Ship of the Line"
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Never read that book. The only time I've seen it is when I read it in Grahams report on the ship.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

*shrugs*
I like it, I'm not mad about it though. Its a good ship for Trek, but I feel it could do with improvements.

Looks nice, good power for its universe, but it wouldn't get into my top ten favourite ships.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

My favourite ship ever - it's beautiful from both the inside and outside, and has a constant aura of power and dominance about it.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Not in the top ten? Are you crazy!

It has such a screan presence. I can't think of anything on the ship that doesn't make sense. No swinging nacelles or over powered warp core.

They did it right for once.

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I can't think of anything on the ship that doesn't make sense.
It suffers from the exact same design flaws that plague every single TNG ship. Exploding consoles. Over reliance on active systems. Poor combat shape. And the thing still looks like a hotel! Believe me, those are just the tip of the iceberg.

As for the top ten, the only Trek ships to be included in this list are the Miranda (because its one of the few competently designed ships) and the Enterprise-A, because...well:
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Things like exploding consols aren't design faults they are crappy writting.

What I ment was it isn't overpowered for its design like the defiant. It's not got to much newmtech like the Promethius no pointless landing supports like the intrepid or moveable nacelles.

It has a full firing arc leaving no blind spots.

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Things like exploding consols aren't design faults they are crappy writting.
Out of universe, you are right. In universe, they are a serious design flaw.
It has a full firing arc leaving no blind spots.
The very nature of its shape would mean that several weapons would be obscured from hitting otherwise easy targets. This mean a smart enemy could negate most of the Sovereigns weapons.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

From what we've seen of the Soverign in action it would seem to be able to hit any mid sized ship at any position around it with a minimum a one torpedo tube a at least 2 phasers. Then it would position itself for attact bringing the total of several torpedo tubes and phasers to bear on the enemy ship.

Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

I agree that the Sovereign does have some design flaws like any other Starfleet ship. However it is still a beautiful thing to behold, and it doesn't really have any blindspots. The only one(s) I could think of are quite literally anywhere within 10 metres of the hull (which hardly counts, thats more of a minimum range), or directly above/below the back of the nacelles.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

This is all presuming your enemy isn't doing things like maneuvering out of your fire arcs?

Give me an ugly brick-shaped ship any day. You can keep your fancy flying art sculptures. I know which would be more effective.
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Rochey wrote: Give me an ugly brick-shaped ship any day. You can keep your fancy flying art sculptures. I know which would be more effective.
Wasn't the point of their shapes to do with the shape of the warp bubble?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

They try to move out of your main firing arc you try to bring them in. You pretty much will get shots in at them from all angels adventually.

As far as trek ships go the Soverign in my opinion is the best. Not just because she is the newist but because she makes the most sense.

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Teaos wrote:They try to move out of your main firing arc you try to bring them in. You pretty much will get shots in at them from all angels adventually.
Unless your enemy is more maneuverable...
As far as trek ships go the Soverign in my opinion is the best.
I agree that it is one of the more effective ships.
Not just because she is the newist but because she makes the most sense.

In what way?
Thorin wrote:Wasn't the point of their shapes to do with the shape of the warp bubble?
It dosen't seem to bother the klingons. Or the romulans. Or the borg. Or the tholians. Or the ferengi. Or the Dominion. Or...I'll stop now, shall I? :)