Star Trek: Countdown - warning spoiler

The Next Generation
CaptainQuantum
Chief petty officer
Chief petty officer

Star Trek: Countdown - warning spoiler

Post by CaptainQuantum »

So in the comic which leads into the new movie, Star Trek: Countdown we get updates on a number of TNG crew members post-Nemesis, the most interesting of which is...

Data returns thanks to the B4 neural net transfer succeeding - and not only that, he's the new Captain of the Enterprise-E.

Now, this is not canon but due to the semi-official nature of the production I wonder if other authors will pick this up and run with it.

I'm interested in opinions on the decision to bring Data back. I think it was smart to leave it open at the end of Nemesis because nothing would have stuffed up Data's supreme sacrifice quicker than to just have B4 wake up and be Data. But is bringing him back now just a populist move? Or is the idea of Data as captain so awesome that it outweighs any reservations about his return? What do people think?
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Star Trek: Countdown - warning spoiler

Post by Deepcrush »

I think its crap! Data is dead! Picard is the CO of the Enterprise! That is how it should be.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I think bringing Data back was a suckish move. Seriously, once a character dies, that should be it. Dax was an exception, because she wasn't truly herself.
But, I think having Data as the CO of the Enterprise could be....Interesting...Where did Picard go?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I knew B4 would be used to basicaly ressurect Data. I called it lame in NEM, and I shall call it lame here.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
CaptainQuantum
Chief petty officer
Chief petty officer

Post by CaptainQuantum »

Reliant121 wrote:Where did Picard go?
He is Earth Ambassador to Vulcan. Not sure what got him that gig. I guess it's the plum diplomatic job, being posted to your biggest ally. Like the US ambassador to the UK. Nothing to do but attend cocktail parties and give the occasional speech.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

B4 was never, isnt, and will never be Data.

He has all the memories ect but his brain is not advanced enough to become what Data was.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Yep. Data only being "mostly dead" truly lames what was otherwise the only dramatic moment in NEM, and one of the great tragic moments in 'Trek (the fact that he should have just grabbed Picard and both used the emergency transport notwithstanding.)
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Exactly, it completely cheapens his death and makes it meaningless.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Not to mention in the novels, Data's still dead.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

So Data's "katra" lives on and is placed in a new body. Where did I hear this one before? :roll:
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
JudgeKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by JudgeKing »

Mark wrote:So Data's "katra" lives on and is placed in a new body. Where did I hear this one before? :roll:
Star Trek III: The Search For Spock
There is not a problem in this world that can't be solved without the proper application of a sufficient number of thermonuclear ordnance.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I think that sarcasm went so far over your head it left the solar system. :P
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

:lol:

I didn't REALLY think I was being very subtle
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Rochey wrote:Exactly, it completely cheapens his death and makes it meaningless.
It was already cheap and meaningless. They killed him just to try and manufacture an emotional gut punch at the end of a completely crap movie. He died pointlessly. Like taking a bullet for a guy in an armored car kinda pointless.

Honestly having B4 start singing at the end of Nem practically told you this is what was going on.

I have a hard time imagining Picard actually liking that assignment. Too easy, too little to do, no real problem to fix. Now if he'd been named an Ambassador and spent his time sweet talking groups to join the Fed or stop fighting I can see him doing that.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

It was already cheap and meaningless. They killed him just to try and manufacture an emotional gut punch at the end of a completely crap movie. He died pointlessly. Like taking a bullet for a guy in an armored car kinda pointless.
You're right. Hell, why couldn't he just bring another of those mini-transporter things? :roll:
Honestly having B4 start singing at the end of Nem practically told you this is what was going on.
Hell, the moment Data died I thought "B4's going to be used to bring him back".