I'm still waiting for a gay human character. :lol:
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Re: The 8 Most Shamefully Stupid Star Trek: TNG Episodes

Post by Bryan Moore »

Lazar wrote:I'm still waiting for a gay human character. :lol:
Read the books. We get Ranul Keru in Titan, who was Hawk's (from FC) partner before the latter's borgification. It is also noted, though in backstage notes, not in canon, that the crewman played by Brian Singer (also gay) during his brief cameo role, was also intended to be gay.

We also see some androgynous/dual sexual species, such as the s/he in New Frontier.

My only reasoning behind why we haven't seen it is because it's simply not a big deal by then. I mean there are numerous characters we hadn't seen much of any love life for, heterosexual, homosexual, or others.

Now, had Dr. Soong created Gayta, I would give my right arm, right leg, and perhaps even right testicle, to watch a few episodes of that.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I always figured Guinan was.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Thing is, the books obviously get less views than the episodes. For a show that liked to claim it was ground-breaking, dodging the whole homosexuality issue was a pretty big thing.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I would imagin mental retardation is mostly cured in a few years (ok maybe more than a few) let alone a few hundred.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Teaos wrote:I would imagin mental retardation is mostly cured in a few years (ok maybe more than a few) let alone a few hundred.
That was my take as well. Gene therapy or somesuch would have eliminated most if not all congenital conditions by TNG.

As to the homosexuality issue - I'm glad it wasn't played up. By the time we reach the 24th century, I'd hope sexual orientation is a complete non-issue.
as Bull offed Custer
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Mikey wrote:
As to the homosexuality issue - I'm glad it wasn't played up. By the time we reach the 24th century, I'd hope sexual orientation is a complete non-issue.
That's what I figure. The most they did for the issue was ignoring it, implying it is not a big issue by the 24th century. I doubt that was their reason for not covering the issue, but we can claim it is to make the writers seem even more intelligent (and let's face it, they need all the help the can get.:poke:)
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I think it's quite clear that the reason the writers never once mentioned it wasn't because it was so accepted in the 24the century (if it was, then why is there not a single gay character in any Trek series?), but because they were afraid of getting into a controversial issue.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Rochey wrote:I think it's quite clear that the reason the writers never once mentioned it wasn't because it was so accepted in the 24the century (if it was, then why is there not a single gay character in any Trek series?), but because they were afraid of getting into a controversial issue.
Shhh.....

Like I said, they need the help. ;-)
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'm not in the habit of bailing the writers out of their own cowardice.
nighthawk
Petty officer third class

Post by nighthawk »

I don't think all the blame for the lack of homosexuality in Trek can be laid at the writers' feet; they have to answer to the directors, showrunners, who also have to answer to network execs, etc. It's a serious omission, but society's been pretty slow at accepting the full scope of human sexuality.
Zapp Brannigan: Kiff, I'm feeling the "captain's itch".
Kif Kroker: I'll get the powder, sir.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Oh, indeed. There's plenty of blame to go around. Primarily I'd say the TV executives would be ultimately to blame.
nighthawk

Post by nighthawk »

As to the 8 stupid episodes - I didn't mind "Rascals", its humour saved it from being a terrible episode. I'd be inclined to bump "The Naked Now" up to the #2 slot; it's just painful to watch. Although without it, we wouldn't be able to belt out "The Sexy Data Tango".
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Rochey wrote:I think it's quite clear that the reason the writers never once mentioned it wasn't because it was so accepted in the 24the century (if it was, then why is there not a single gay character in any Trek series?), but because they were afraid of getting into a controversial issue.
You know, it's not as easy to stubbornly and blindly stick to my fake conceptions when you keep bringing the real world into the matter. But yes, I'd say pandering to advertisers was probably the reason for avoidance of the issue.
nighthawk wrote:As to the 8 stupid episodes - I didn't mind "Rascals", its humour saved it from being a terrible episode. I'd be inclined to bump "The Naked Now" up to the #2 slot; it's just painful to watch. Although without it, we wouldn't be able to belt out "The Sexy Data Tango".
See, I appreciated the humor in "Rascals" but the ep's faults still shine through. Welcome, BTW.
as Bull offed Custer
nighthawk

Post by nighthawk »

Mikey wrote:See, I appreciated the humor in "Rascals" but the ep's faults still shine through. Welcome, BTW.
You probably have a point; I haven't watched the episode closely in years. Thank you for the welcome.