The 8 Most Shamefully Stupid Star Trek: TNG Episodes

The Next Generation
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: The 8 Most Shamefully Stupid Star Trek: TNG Episodes

Post by Teaos »

I dont see how we can "blame" Star Trek for not touching on the homosexuality issue. Its an entertainment show, not a social commentry, even if they did that several times.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

When said show likes to pride itself on pushing boundaries, you expect them to actualy start pushing. Hell, both TOS and TNG were full of moral-filled episodes designed to make you think about topical issues at that time.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Yeah, I don't think it's "blame" so much as "wonder why they didn't."
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Popular entertainment can be some of the most powerful means of getting a message out, to boot. However, the stigma over such things does seem to be easing with the younger generation (see the rising acceptance of civil unions even for conservatives)
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Ok, back to the arrow in Data's chest. I have a theory.

First, a sharp pointy blade WILL go through body armor wear a regular bullet won't. Maybe Data's physical "skin" is similar to Kevlar's properties.

Second, he didn't take any real damage from the arrow either. It just stuck in him. The robe covered the point of impact.

Third, it COULD have just been a non vital and thus un-protected part of Data's construction.

And for the record, the dumbest TNG episode is where everybody de-volved into some random animal or other. Period.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Maybe he upgraded himself after that incident?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Possible.........even Data would have to see the irony of being shot in the "heart" by Troi, with an arrow.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

The bullet/arrow thing never bothered me. The arrow stuck in him, apparently penetrating some unimportant system but doing no visible harm. The bullets did no visible harm either. Do they bounce off, or do they stick in him just like the arrow did? I sure can't tell from watching.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Fair point. Bullet proof doesn't necessarily mean that bullets bounce off him. Just that they don't penetrate deep enough to damage anything.
Same with the arrow.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

... and something the size of an arrow would be a lot more visible sticking out of him than a bullet. The terminator was "bulletproof" in the same way: he'd get shot up, continue to function, and once the shooters had been Ahnold-ized, he'd just pull the rounds out of his cyborg body.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Post by thelordharry »

And when Lilly peppers Data in FC after he jumps down on her next to the Phoenix and it does him no harm. Compare this to poor old Ensign Lynch in the Dixon Hill holodeck situation in the same film. Watch your caboose Dix...
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and
the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to
know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is
to have succeeded.”
steamrunner
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by steamrunner »

How about the one where Beverly (ah...redheads :Drool1: ) dorks the energy being that dorked her grandmother...uhhh...that's just...uhhh
"If? If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle..."
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

steamrunner
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by steamrunner »

Rochey wrote:Sub-Rosa?
Yes...thank you, Admiral Rochey. I couldn't even bring myself to look up the name...
"If? If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle..."
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Yeah, that one sucked hard.