The 8 Most Shamefully Stupid Star Trek: TNG Episodes

The Next Generation
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: The 8 Most Shamefully Stupid Star Trek: TNG Episodes

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

What's this about Data being shot with an arrow, though? I don't recall that (probably because it's in one of those eps I usually skip)
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

It was in "Qpid".
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Thought so... that's one of those I usually skip for some reason (I know it has some funny moments - "Sir I protest, I am not a merry man!")

It's possible his structure changed between then and FC (though unlikely) - or that it's an anomaly caused by being in a Q generated fantasy (sounds like a cop-out but it's still reasonable given the nature of the Q's abilities). Mainly, though, it is funny. :)
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

How do we know Data didn't take any damage from the gunfire in FC? It might have just hit a bunch of internal plating or non-vital systems.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Tsukiyumi wrote:How do we know Data didn't take any damage from the gunfire in FC? It might have just hit a bunch of internal plating or non-vital systems.
Troi shot him with one arrow; the shooters in FC shot a fair amount more than one round (each of which I'd imagine was much more energetic than Troi's arrow). Perhaps Troi hit an unshielded non-vital area while Data's more vital areas are more shielded, or nothing in Data's trunk that would have gotten swiss-cheese-ified was vital. Seems like a big coincidence in the latter case.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

No doubt; I'm just suggesting the possibility. :)

It's also possible that he was reinforced between Q-pid and FC.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Perhaps reinforced specifically for the danger of Earth in FC? He generally wouldn't have had to expect much gunfire wherever else he's been, but here...

Should we move to have swiss-cheese-ified added to the dictionaries? 8)
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Perhaps the piercing nature of the arrow was able to penetrate where the impact-oriented nature of the bullets was not, especially considering the "mushroom" effect of bullets hitting a high-tech alloy such as Data's chest.

It's a stretch, I know, but better than nothing...
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Praeothmin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Praeothmin »

The arrow also had a smaller penetrating area, meaning most of its kinetic energy was concentrated on the point, whereas the bullets, being rounder, has their energy distributed over a larger area (not much large, but perhaps the difference between penetration and non-penetration).
The truth always depends on which side of the fence you're standing... ;)
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Praeothmin wrote:The arrow also had a smaller penetrating area, meaning most of its kinetic energy was concentrated on the point, whereas the bullets, being rounder, has their energy distributed over a larger area (not much large, but perhaps the difference between penetration and non-penetration).
I was thinking of that, too, but I figured that the concentration of KE onto a smaller impact area for the arrow would be offset by the smaller total amount of KE in the projectile compared to a bullet from an M911.
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Especially given that Lilly wasn't using anything as weak as a pistol - it was an SMG or carbine, that I believe Graham's identified. As what, I can't remember.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

It was a Calico M911.
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Ah, right ho. For some reason I misread your post as M1911
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
katefan wrote:...Wouldn't Picard's artificial heart have blown through his chest, too large for his adolescent rib cage?
Bah, the writers can't be bothered with trivialities like previously established details. :?
Good call! That would have been quite funny.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Forgive the off-topicness of this, but I'm sorta surprised with TNG being on in the late 80's, and us getting a cornball anti-drug episode and other very dated plots with a message, that we didn't get an episode dealing with mental handicaps, possibly guest starring the guy from Life Goes On. I mean every other major show had at least one episode dealing with someone with mental retardation. I know we got Mot the Barber, who just might be a few sandwhiches short of a picnic basket, but I really would have enjoyed Geordi trying to explain why the plasma torch wasn't a toy or perhaps a security personel with a hockey helmet and Scooby-Doo lunch box. I mean, it couldn't have been much worse than Starfleet infantry tactics.

Okay, I'll stop being offensive.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?