Hypothetical Starfleet ship roles

The Next Generation
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Re: Hypothetical Starfleet ship roles

Post by kostmayer »

m52nickerson wrote:What was the name of the episode were Worf tricked the sensors in thinking there was an other ship in the area and that ship appeared on the view screen?
Peak Performance.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
m52nickerson
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by m52nickerson »

Tsukiyumi wrote:At this juncture, I'd like to add that submarines don't have windows (there's nothing to look at anyways), and the crews don't go nuts. Why? Because they're psychologically vetted before they get to serve on one.
Ever talk to someone that have been on a sub, it does start to wear on you. Not only that but sub crews are small and relativaly elite. Starfleet may not have enough people like that to fill all their ships.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day........beat that man to death........you have an extra fish.
m52nickerson
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by m52nickerson »

kostmayer wrote:
m52nickerson wrote:What was the name of the episode were Worf tricked the sensors in thinking there was an other ship in the area and that ship appeared on the view screen?
Peak Performance.
Thank you!
Give a man a fish he eats for a day........beat that man to death........you have an extra fish.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Someone else is gonna have to do the math on this one I'm afraid.

At what range are the types of ship to ship firefights we saw in TNG conducted, and how big would a Galaxy class style ship look at that range?

Also, I'm a bit of a freak in this regard, and I know not all ships are Galaxy Class vessels, but I can't imagine ever going stir crazy on a ship like the Enterprise D.

The quarters are much bigger then my flat (granted, I have 2 rooms and live out of one). I haven't opened the curtains since putting them up 4 years ago, and I can't imagine life onboard ship being any less varied then mine is now.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

stitch626 wrote:I'm not sure on this, but I think they don't go out to sea for months without ever surfacing or refueling.
Bomber patrols last for months on end, and not only do they not refuel or surface, all comms traffic to the boat is inbound only.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

No, one window was shown not to withstand the same stresses, not multiple or all of them, one. So that is one out of how many?
So then what? They just decided to make the window on the most important part of the starship weaker than all the others for some reason? Bullshit. Logicaly it would be the most heavily reinforced window on the ship. That it broke is damning evidence.
Really are you sure of that? Yes a window, regardless of the view will be a great help. It has nothing to do with what the view is or is not it is just the fact that the person can see outside of the ship.
Well whoop-de-fucking doo. You've got a view of utter nothingness, showing you to be an insignficant speck in the universe kept alive only by the tin can you're floating around in. Yeah, I can really see that single-handedly bringing up morale. :roll:
Have we seen otherwise?
We've never seen any enlisted rooms. Traditionaly, a porthole is an officer's priviledge.
What was the name of the episode were Worf tricked the sensors in thinking there was an other ship in the area and that ship appeared on the view screen?
Fine, then start putting some cameras on the hull. :roll:
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

kostmayer wrote:At what range are the types of ship to ship firefights we saw in TNG conducted, and how big would a Galaxy class style ship look at that range?
A few kilometres - you certainly be able to see the thing. The problem is that 90% of the time there'd be nothing to see - the ship would be interstellar.
The quarters are much bigger then my flat (granted, I have 2 rooms and live out of one). I haven't opened the curtains since putting them up 4 years ago, and I can't imagine life onboard ship being any less varied then mine is now.
The quarters are huge - you could fit an infantry platoon into Picard's quarters in reasonable comfort.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Rochey wrote:We've never seen any enlisted rooms. Traditionally, a porthole is an officer's privilege.
We do, however, see junior officer's quarters in "Lower Decks". No windows.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

And my point is proven. Thank you.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Captain Seafort wrote:The quarters are huge - you could fit an infantry platoon into Picard's quarters in reasonable comfort.
This is just a random point, but of course his were huge. He's the captain, Worf's quarters on the E-E were tiny, We saw them in one of the movies, I don't remember which one but I remember it happened, I believe First contact. On the E-D they weren't that big either if I recall correctly, they had a bed and some stuff in them, not a whole lot, but Picard's were huge of course, so that was just a bad example to use.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

m52nickerson wrote:
Tsukiyumi wrote:At this juncture, I'd like to add that submarines don't have windows (there's nothing to look at anyways), and the crews don't go nuts. Why? Because they're psychologically vetted before they get to serve on one.
Ever talk to someone that have been on a sub, it does start to wear on you. Not only that but sub crews are small and relativaly elite. Starfleet may not have enough people like that to fill all their ships.
When has availability of manpower been shown to be an issue?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Nickswitz wrote:
Captain Seafort wrote:The quarters are huge - you could fit an infantry platoon into Picard's quarters in reasonable comfort.
This is just a random point, but of course his were huge. He's the captain, Worf's quarters on the E-E were tiny, We saw them in one of the movies, I don't remember which one but I remember it happened, I believe First contact. On the E-D they weren't that big either if I recall correctly, they had a bed and some stuff in them, not a whole lot, but Picard's were huge of course, so that was just a bad example to use.
The CO's quarters on a modern naval ship are huge as well. I.e. about the size of the typical quarters we saw on the Defiant.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Yeah, but Picard's quarters we're bigger than everyone elses, so it wasn't a good comparison for quarters, the defiant quarters makes more sense to me since that's just regular crew, not elite crew.
The world ended

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Nickswitz wrote:Yeah, but Picard's quarters we're bigger than everyone elses, so it wasn't a good comparison for quarters, the defiant quarters makes more sense to me since that's just regular crew, not elite crew.
You're missing the point - the Defiant's quarters are luxurious by modern naval standards, the sort of thing the CO, and possibly the 2iC would get. Most of the crew would be sleeping six to a cabin that's narrower and shorter than the Defiant's.

Note also that I said you could put an infantry platoon into Picard's quarters in comfort. You could probably fit that many in most of the cabins we see in more cramped conditions.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Sorry I didn't make it clear, I accept the Defiant example, I understand it, Just didn't like the CO's quarters used as an example. That's all.
The world ended