To be, or yacht to be

The Next Generation
Lazar
Captain
Captain

To be, or yacht to be

Post by Lazar »

Sorry for flogging a dead horse, but it just keeps bugging me: how does that damn yacht / torpedo launcher combo work on the Sovereign?

The torpedo launcher is located right on the separation line, so it seems that you'd have to have an angled tube, with torpedoes launching at maybe a 25° downward angle relative to the ship. (And even at that, I'm still skeptical of how you could fit the launcher assembly so close to the yacht's hull.) How would that work?
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Re: To be, or yacht to be

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Lazar wrote:Sorry for flogging a dead horse, but it just keeps bugging me: how does that damn yacht / torpedo launcher combo work on the Sovereign?

The torpedo launcher is located right on the separation line, so it seems that you'd have to have an angled tube, with torpedoes launching at maybe a 25° downward angle relative to the ship. (And even at that, I'm still skeptical of how you could fit the launcher assembly so close to the yacht's hull.) How would that work?
Very carefully. Or to borrow another famous Trek-related answer "very well thank you"
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

To be, or yacht to be
It's pun-tastic.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

We've had a couple of threads on this subject before, I think. IIRC, the conlcusion we reached is that the tube is probably loaded from the top down, with just the tube being present in that location, and the rest of the equipment being in the ship itself.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

How long is a torpedo tube, though? Considering that the second screenshot shows that part of the yacht lies above the separation line and "inside" the main ship, there would hardly seem to be any space for the tubes regardless of how they are loaded. Maybe they just drop them into that slot and the torps are basically instantly launched by some directed energy charge without any real length of tube (the torp's own guidance systems taking over)? If it's a stretch it would seem to be what the pictures demand.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Burst fire tubes would need to be at least as long a torpedo x the amount of torpedoes it fires in a burst. Probably plus so space between them. Minimum.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

FWIW, I found this picture on DITL:

It gives a better view of the internal layout.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Technicaly, a torp tube needn't be that long. The torp has its own engine, so it only really needs to be slightly longer than the torpedo itself.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Teaos wrote:Burst fire tubes would need to be at least as long a torpedo x the amount of torpedoes it fires in a burst. Probably plus so space between them. Minimum.
Not necessarily. The torpedoes might be fed in at right-angles to the direction of launch, in the same way as modern automatic weapons.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Bullpup feeds? Not sure I like that idea when loading warheads in rapid fashion.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

You may not like it, but there's no room to do it any other way.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

They should have (should, in trek, NO!!!) just skipped on building the yacht.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

IIRC, the launcher in question that supposedly interfered with the yacht was a "turret," although it seemed in FC to act more like a revolver than an actual turret. If it did in fact operate six-shooter style, then it could easily have a drop-down loader rather than a linear one.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

No matter how advanced they get, it still comes down to a guy with a six shooter... :laughroll:
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

They might have been better off. A skilled pistolier with a handful of speed-loaders could've held that bottleneck at AR-558...
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer