Re: Olympic class

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I second that.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I always thought the GCS would make a better troop ship for just that reason..........................but by refitting the Olympic class THAT much, would you be coming up with an entirely NEW class?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
steamrunner
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by steamrunner »

Probably more of a Sub-Class than an entirely new class. If it were to become a troop transport, it would subject the hospital Olympics to be fired on more than usual...(Assuming the enemy actually had morals against firing on ships of mercy)
"If? If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle..."
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'd call it a completely new class. The interior would have to be completely refitted. Only the exterior would remain similar.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Rochey wrote:I'd call it a completely new class. The interior would have to be completely refitted. Only the exterior would remain similar.
Not so much. The secondary hull could remain completely intact, as could the operational parts of the primary hull. change hospital facilities to quarters and staging areas (and treble the capacity, going from wardrooms to barracks) and Bob's your uncle.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

And the bays for landing craft? Armouries? Supplies to assist in the ground assault? Etc, etc, etc. There's a lot of stuff involved.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Rochey wrote:And the bays for landing craft?
There's a bog honking bay on the secondary hull, arguably better-placed than that on any other ship in the fleet; and presumably, there could easily be a bay or two flanking the impulse drives much like other contemporary ships. One would imagine that a hospital ship would be equipped for evac as much as a troop ship for landing.
Rochey wrote:Armouries? Supplies to assist in the ground assault?
I just wrote:change hospital facilities to quarters and staging areas
Replicators mean you need very little space for an actual armory.
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mikey wrote:Replicators mean you need very little space for an actual armory.
You'd still need lots of power and the bulk matter. In any case, the fact that the E-E had an armour suggests that it's either more efficient to carry weapons around with you, or starship replicators can't produce them. Besides which, you certainly wouldn't be able to produce vehicles.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:the E-E had an armour
Which looked to have a cabinet with about 20 rifles. And at least chemical-propellant weapons, with micro-transporter tech, can be replicated (c.f. TR-116.)

I'm not arguing that space won't be needed. I'm saying that if the Olympic (hypothetically) can hold 1,000 patients/evacuees, that could be translated to probably 3,000-4,000 troops and still have room for all that stuff. I mean, how many grunts could you billet in a hospital room? I don't think saying 4-6 is a stretch.
as Bull offed Custer
steamrunner
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by steamrunner »

I would imagine there would be an ass-load of transporters in the Olympic - both hospital ship and troop ship...
"If? If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle..."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I think auxiliary craft is the answer to troop deployment a/o evac - we've seen far too many occasion during which the transporters were useless.
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye, go with the tried and tested method.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Upon further review, I actually wish the Olympic was slightly bigger. You'd get great internal volume if that ship was 1/3 bigger.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mikey wrote:I think auxiliary craft is the answer to troop deployment a/o evac - we've seen far too many occasion during which the transporters were useless.
Indeed, frankly I think one would best to design a totally new ship for troop transport and landings. Something with large landing bays that can quickly and easily deploy dropships, the shuttle bays in TNG have always struck me as tiny, or that there shuttles are woefully slow. Almost like their worried about dinging the side of the ship.

Personally I see something like the Saratoga from S:AAB or the Rodger Young from SST as a good inspiration.
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

Perhaps the Olmpic has landing capability so you can use transporters, shutles or you can land the ship, or a convination. Could be useful for hospital or troop ship.
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!