Borg Retaliation

The Next Generation
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Borg Retaliation

Post by Mark »

The Destiny series got me thinking. As many times as humanity either defeated or foiled the Borg, do you think a mass Borg retaliatory strike would be logical? What could Starfleet do to prepare? SHOULD they be preparing? Or do you think the Borg will just leave us alone? Thoughts?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Borg Retaliation

Post by Teaos »

Well mass attacks isnt TNG-style Borg tactics, they dont use tactics, just float around and maybe send the odd cube.

But VOY-style Borg... well humans have screwed them over so many times they might try it... or they might decide to leave humans alone after being crippled by them.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Well, the Borg certainly have the resources to field a mass strike against the Federation, and Starfleet just isn't equipped to deal with any number of Borg ships. I guess we have to wonder how ticked off we've made the Queen.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Mark wrote:Well, the Borg certainly have the resources to field a mass strike against the Federation, and Starfleet just isn't equipped to deal with any number of Borg ships. I guess we have to wonder how ticked off we've made the Queen.
Wait till Picard tells her how cute she looks when she's pissed off. :P

It's rather strange that the Federation keeps fending off individual cubes by the skin of its teeth, and the Borg never send in more than one at a time. They seem to have no shortage of cubes, and with their transwarp they have no worries about getting around. I'd guess that after Endgame, either the Borg attack with a vengeance, or they're too crippled to attack. The fact that the Federation has been shown to still exist in the 29th century illustrates that either the Borg did not attack, or the Federation was able to fend off said attack (dare I say that Transphasic torps may have settled that? :worried: )
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Arent' the Borg fighting a civil war right now as well? With those people from 7of9's matrix thing.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Possible, but with the resources of the Collective, wouldn't you imagine they could easily send a few hundred ships easily?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Not necessarily. Even if we assume a 90% - 10% split, then that's going to be some serious fighting there.

That said, I'm sure two[ Cubes could be easily spared, and they'd be sufficient to take down Earth.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

And yet the Borg just don't do it. One must love plot power.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Well, that can be easily explained by pointing out that the Borg are utterly retarded.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
JudgeKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by JudgeKing »

These are all the ones I can recall. I included the games also.

BoBW
Sector 001
Drone
Dark Frontier
Child's Play
Elite Force
Armada
Unimatrix Zero
Armada II
Endgame
Legacy
Before Dishonor
Greater Than The Sum
Destiny
There is not a problem in this world that can't be solved without the proper application of a sufficient number of thermonuclear ordnance.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

In general, a punitive or retaiatory action doesn't really seem to be the Borg's style. They seem to be more interested in pragmatic matters.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

In some cases, retaliatory action can be the pragmatic sollution. Like sending more than one fracking Cube to Earth.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

That wouldn't be a retaliatory strike - that would be applying a common-sense solution to a previously failed attempt.
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Quite right. Perhaps a better example would be the Borg sending a fleet to destroy the homeworld of a race that had been attacking them with success. It's both a retaliatory action, and is pragmatic as it prevents further losses.

Of course, that could be filed under Common Sense as well.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

"Sending a fleet?" They'd have to figure out how to send more than one ship at a time, before they start talking fleets.
as Bull offed Custer