Which ship could become the backbone of the Modern Starfleet

The Next Generation
Praeothmin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Which ship could become the backbone of the Modern Starfleet

Post by Praeothmin »

Mikey wrote:Refits involving the proper tech, with the proper facilities and personnel, should be less exhaustive than has been theorized.
Wow, I thought I had agreed that it wasn't as extensive as, say, what had been done to the Lakota, but I never did.

I too agree that with proper installations, like a drydock, it could take a few weeks at most to replace both large strips (after the redesign has been done, of course).
But, again, it wouldn't be that easy while in the middle of nowhere, with no dock of any sort to assist.
You still have to rip out the old parts and modify housings and integrate the new parts, not like taking out parts that you re-insert the same way afterwards.
It's not logical to assume the existence of such an alien facility when there's no evidence of it. In fact, no such modifications were made when the ship did encounter any sortof station.
Has it been stated, as fact, that they didn't have any such help from any such facilities?
For example, when Voyager got the new Isokinetic cannon, the race that sold it to them needed to help them install it.
When the inventor died, they were not able to integrate it to their systems.
So, was it specificaly stated that, when they installed the alien technology, no base, dock or station was needed, and no help from the creators of the Tech?
Also, what changes were as big as replacing the two biggest Phaser arrays on a Nebula-class with newer models not made to go on?
The truth always depends on which side of the fence you're standing... ;)
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Can't believe this crap is still going on! :shock:

There was no Alien Drydock (that was never there). No special crew (that was never there). No "we can't do" what we've seen done in cannon a dozen times over just because people are on their periods and can't deal with reality.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Praeothmin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Praeothmin »

Deepcrush wrote:There was no Alien Drydock (that was never there). No special crew (that was never there).
Good.
That's what I wanted to know.
So we know Voyager's crew were experts at integrating Delta Quadrant Tech to their ship.

But if it was so easy to update the Phaser strips of an old ship to newer models, then why was it never done IU?
You're sending your ships to war?
No prob, in two days we'll have stripped the old Phaser arrays and replaced them with totally new ones, easy as abc...
Why did it take so long to upgrade the Lakota?
I mean, they just slapped on some armor, replaced the shield emitters and phasers, and the torpedo launchers.
That should have taken, what, a week in a drydock?

Voyager's done things that we've never seen done before, or since, in ST, so taking them as an example brings up more issues then solutions...
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I too agree that with proper installations, like a drydock, it could take a few weeks at most to replace both large strips (after the redesign has been done, of course).
But, again, it wouldn't be that easy while in the middle of nowhere, with no dock of any sort to assist.
You still have to rip out the old parts and modify housings and integrate the new parts, not like taking out parts that you re-insert the same way afterwards.
Being its still possible to commit either in or out of drydock. It's still a go ahead plan.
Has it been stated, as fact, that they didn't have any such help from any such facilities?
Cannon has provided no such support that they ever did. If you want to run the "They didn't say they didn't" joke then you have to prove so through evidence. Otherwise default kicks in and Voy is counted as never having help.
For example, when Voyager got the new Isokinetic cannon, the race that sold it to them needed to help them install it. When the inventor died, they were not able to integrate it to their systems.
This is a case where the install failed and was stated that they needed help. Any other case not stated so is taken as help was not needed.
So, was it specificaly stated that, when they installed the alien technology, no base, dock or station was needed, and no help from the creators of the Tech?
To which ep are you pointing too? You know there were more then just a single ep of Voy? You've got to be more specific.
Also, what changes were as big as replacing the two biggest Phaser arrays on a Nebula-class with newer models not made to go on?
The Defiant increased the overall phaser power of their whole ship and added ablative armor using the spare time of a 500 man crew that was watching over an entire station while also upgrading said stations systems and all of this inside of a year.

Voy repaired whole sections of the ship time after time. This was done in a two week period.

Any reason that a smaller work load couldn't be done on a fully crewed Nebula class inside of UFP space? Crying is not evidence.
Praeothmin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Praeothmin »

Deepcrush wrote:Being its still possible to commit either in or out of drydock. It's still a go ahead plan.
I agree!
Simply, it will be a more difficult and take more time out of a drydock...
Cannon has provided no such support that they ever did. If you want to run the "They didn't say they didn't" joke then you have to prove so through evidence. Otherwise default kicks in and Voy is counted as never having help.
As I said before you posted this, I wanted to know, I wasn't arguing.
Any other case not stated so is taken as help was not needed.
To which ep are you pointing too? You know there were more then just a single ep of Voy? You've got to be more specific.
No specific episode in particular, just interested in all of these instances.
The Defiant increased the overall phaser power of their whole ship and added ablative armor using the spare time of a 500 man crew that was watching over an entire station while also upgrading said stations systems and all of this inside of a year.
Yes, and I have no problems with an entire Bases's ressources being able to help in a starship's upgrade within a 1 year period.
I just don't think that, while replacing the Phaser strips once the redesign has been done will not be as hard as some believe it to be, that it will be as easy as others believe.
Voy repaired whole sections of the ship time after time. This was done in a two week period.
I already agreed that Voyager was pretty exceptionnal in this type of endeavours...
Crying is not evidence.
It's not??? :hairup:
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I'm just going to call this debate with the Nebula Class the winner seeing how no one has really put up any other class.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I never said that upfits w/o facilities would be easy - just eminently possible. Obviously, if only for quality-control measures, such a thing wouldn't be SOP.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Thats better then having people say its impossible... :poke:
Praeothmin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Praeothmin »

Then I guess we all agree...

Nebula, hands down, and repairs are possible to do on the fly, although it will be much harder then with a starbase support.
I think that covers it...

:)
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Very much so, well said Preaothmin.

Since that sums it up. What's next?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

"What's next" has been split to here
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.