What are ships which are worse than the Galaxy-class?

The Next Generation
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

What are ships which are worse than the Galaxy-class?

Post by SuperSaiyaMan12 »

With all the hatred for it on this site, what ship classes are arguably just as bad or worse in Star Trek?
katefan
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Re: What are ships which are worse than the Galaxy-class?

Post by katefan »

I am not crazy about the Oberth class; I always thought it looked silly with two sections of ship that cannot be easily accessed between them. And the Constellation is a very clunky looking design. I dislike 'em both more than the Galaxy.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

The canon Defiant, ugly, to small, to uber for its size.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SuperSaiyaMan12 »

Teaos wrote:The canon Defiant, ugly, to small, to uber for its size.
The Defiant is so fricking awesome though. Ugly? Its not meant to be as graceful as the other ships. Small? Its like a large Attack Fighter. And of course its uber, its awesome. A badass ship.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Just because it wasnt ment to be pretty doesnt mean I cant hate it for being ugly.

And it is not a large fighter/attack ship. Apparently it can theoretically take on battleships and cruisers just one generation removed from the SotA and beat them.

That is to powerful for a ship that size.

And since we see it on screen it is canon and there is no denying it. But it just simply shouldnt be that powerful for its size.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
JudgeKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by JudgeKing »

The Yaeger-class.
There is not a problem in this world that can't be solved without the proper application of a sufficient number of thermonuclear ordnance.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Can you define the question a bit more? By "just as bad, or worse", do you mean in terms of aesthetics, survivability, design, effeciency, etc?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
katefan
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by katefan »

I agree in regards to the Defiant, it is way too powerful for it's size. It is a fank-wank uber ship.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

The issue with the Defiant that I have is that it was even stated in canon to be too powerful for its size/systems. The only reason it works at all is because of O'Brien's pixie dust. That, and the the fact that the same ship is a different size every week.

Discounting the "franken-fleet," I'm going to have to with the Constellation. I was never a fan of that bezelled saucer look; and the whole ship can be completely destroyed with one good shot to the little neck where all four nacelles are attached to the primary hull.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

If we go by safety then I don't think we have seen a poorer design then the GCS. The E-A in ST:V comes close but she was rushed out of dock and fixed shortly after, so I'll give that a pass. I'll go with the Intrepid, manual overrides for doors can malfunction, the computer components can catch diseases, access codes for the senior officers can be used by the fry cook, and of course the ubiquitous holodeck problems.
SteveK
Ensign
Ensign

Post by SteveK »

Teaos wrote:
That is to powerful for a ship that size.

And since we see it on screen it is canon and there is no denying it. But it just simply shouldnt be that powerful for its size.
I don't think that's a fair criticism. Generally speaking the Federation can field ships that combine luxury cruise liner, science ship, hospital ship and warship and have them be the equal of dedicated warships from other cultures. That leads me to believe that their weapon technology is generally superior to their enemies, its no wonder that when they build a dedicated warship that it kicks ass.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

The Defiant gets my pick. It is an extraordinarily disgusting ship to look at, but i would let that pass, if it werent for what it is. Simply put, its a fan-wank. So much power, in such a little hull. Thats not right. It can take on uber-upgraded Excelsiors with probably more firepower than a Galaxy, and still come out on top.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

This is why I asked for clarification as to what the thread-maker wanted. Being fan-wank doesn't make a ship bad in and of itself. Hell, the Defiant class is easily one of the best ships around, in-universe.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
JudgeKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by JudgeKing »

Reliant121 wrote:The Defiant gets my pick. It is an extraordinarily disgusting ship to look at, but i would let that pass, if it werent for what it is. Simply put, its a fan-wank. So much power, in such a little hull. Thats not right. It can take on uber-upgraded Excelsiors with probably more firepower than a Galaxy, and still come out on top.
Last time I checked, the Defiant and Lakota were practically even in that battle. Either one could've destroyed the other if they fired their quantum torpedoes.
There is not a problem in this world that can't be solved without the proper application of a sufficient number of thermonuclear ordnance.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Even fighting it to a draw is unrealistic.