Nebula Class Disscussion

The Next Generation
Foxfyre
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Nebula Class Disscussion

Post by Foxfyre »

Well since the Galaxy and Soveriegn have disucssed to death going to kick off the TNG ship disscussion threads with the Nebula.

Overall, a nice design clear desendant of the Miranda. I'm not sure if I woudl rate her as an Explorer or a battle cruiser (maybe both). I like the fact that the module topside on the ship is interchangable and can be swaped out for differnt missions. This makes the class a truely a mutlimission ship. As for firepower I want to rate her slightly below a galaxy.

Overall Grade for the ship: A-
Genius insania et conseri manum
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Nebula Class Disscussion

Post by Mikey »

*cue fireworks*
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

I actually don't think we've seen enough of this class to determine anything beyond it uses similar components to the Galaxy. I do like the looks of it though, as I am a big fan of the Reliant.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Even though some people don't seem to believe the pod is interchangeable ( :? ), I do, and I think that makes the Neb more flexible, and somewhat superior to the GCS.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Potentially, the weapons-pod Neb could be Starfleet's most powerful ship of the 2360s, stronger even than the Galaxy. The hull arrangement suggests similar or identical power arrangements, it's pod has far more torpedo launchers than the GCS, and the fact that it's a far more compact design means that the shields will be more efficient. It's certainly my favourite design of the TNG+ era.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Tsukiyumi wrote:Even though some people don't seem to believe the pod is interchangeable ( :? ), I do, and I think that makes the Neb more flexible, and somewhat superior to the GCS.
It has the potential to be changed, but it would take a massive refit to turn an AWACS Neb into a weapons-pod Neb. The attachments are completely different. The advantage of the various pods is that several different roles can be performed by the same basic design, with on the extreme aft end needing to be redesigned between the subtypes.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Very true. Even if the pods aren't interchangeable, you still don't need a new R&D startup for a ship to fill a different role.
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Again, this class grew on me. At first it struck me as a piss-poor kit bash. But as this class developed it's own identity, I started to admire her lines and advantages over a GCS.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

I like the Nebula because, as others have said, it basically packs a GCS into a much more compact package, with more torpedo potential to boot.
Captain Seafort wrote:The hull arrangement suggests similar or identical power arrangements, it's pod has far more torpedo launchers than the GCS...
They seemed to follow through on that idea by making the Akira into a 15-tube torpedo wank, compared with only 5 tubes for the non-refit Sovereign.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Mark wrote:Again, this class grew on me. At first it struck me as a piss-poor kit bash. But as this class developed it's own identity, I started to admire her lines and advantages over a GCS.
Actually, that had occurred to me as well. For all the fact that this is to the GCS as the Miranda is to the Connie, the Neb just screams "kitbash!" to me far more than the Miranda does.
as Bull offed Custer
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

Mikey wrote:Actually, that had occurred to me as well. For all the fact that this is to the GCS as the Miranda is to the Connie, the Neb just screams "kitbash!" to me far more than the Miranda does.
One reason might be that if you're flying out of the main shuttlebay, you have to swerve to one side in order not to crash into the big pylon. Looks like some of the escape pods might have a similar problem.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Foxfyre
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Foxfyre »

I think they started her out as the AWACS verison and then said wait a minute lets do this and forgot about the shuttlebay. The AWACCS version the shuttlebay makes sense.
Genius insania et conseri manum
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I for one love the Nebula Class. She's got everything the GCS has but in a smaller package.

My grade on this ship is an A+ without pause.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

What I find a little odd about this ship is that is speculated to be built in massive numbers, hundreds, if not thousands.

Were as the GCS which is made out of a vast majority of the same bits and only slightly more mass has a production run of somewhere between 6-12.

Sure the Nebula is widely considered a better ship but since the GCS was considered the flagship class you would expect a better ratio than 1 GCS for every 100 Nebulas.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Who ever said that that there where thousands of them?
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu