D'deridex-class Overview

The Next Generation
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

D'deridex-class Overview

Post by SuperSaiyaMan12 »

With all the crap that the Galaxy-class seems to get here, why isn't the main Romulan ship also targetted? I mean, they're powered by singularities that can't be shut down. Thoughts?

Fixed the title typo - it was bugging me. Seafort
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: D'derindex-class Overview

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Who says they can't be shut down?
Who says they can't be ejected?
Who says there aren't failsafes?
Who says they're as unstable as a GCS WC?

The D'Deridex gets enough flak around here for its wasteful design. We don't know enough about its safety record to comment on it, so we don't. On the other hand, we have excellent knowledge of the E-D's safety record, so we can and do comment on that.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

So, Rochey, remind me; how do you feel about the GCS again? :lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Well, in "Tin Man", a Romulan ship completely burned out it's warp drive, stranding it in Federation space. I'd see that as a bit of a design flaw.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mark wrote:Well, in "Tin Man", a Romulan ship completely burned out it's warp drive, stranding it in Federation space. I'd see that as a bit of a design flaw.
That would happen to any ship if you drove it too hard for too long.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

And in the other instance of a D'deridex engine issue (the TNG ep of which I've forgotten the title,) the power source couldn't be shut or abated because of the alien hatchlings living in it, not because of the design itself. To make things fair to our criticism of the GCS, we might say that the "quantum singularity" should have been better shielded from extra-dimensional infestation, but we don't really know the process by which the alien babies ended up in there.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
m52nickerson
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by m52nickerson »

We have seen more Warbirds destroyed then Galaxy class star ships.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day........beat that man to death........you have an extra fish.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

We've also seen more Warbirds in total then we have GCS. Kind of balances out.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

We've seen 3 GCS destoryed in person. Given that we've only seen maybe 5-6 GCS thats a 50% death rate.

How many DD's have been killed and how many have we seen? I cant find figures for it anywhere but just thinking i can really only think of the few we see killed in the DS9 fleet battles, and considering we saw dozens of them thats not to bad.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Indeed the D'D has a better on screen survival rate then the GCS. Not counting how many times we watched the E-D go up in smoke and fire! :twisted:
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Praeothmin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Praeothmin »

Although, apart from the Odissey, the GCS that we saw in DS9 battles fared much better then the D'Ds we saw in DS9 battles.

Remember the two GCS doing a flyby on a Galor-Class, and all the GCS seen when they retake DS9.
We've seen many Excelsiors and Mirandas get destroyed, but as far as I remember, no GCS...
The truth always depends on which side of the fence you're standing... ;)
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Praeothmin wrote:Although, apart from the Odissey, the GCS that we saw in DS9 battles fared much better then the D'Ds we saw in DS9 battles.

Remember the two GCS doing a flyby on a Galor-Class, and all the GCS seen when they retake DS9.
We've seen many Excelsiors and Mirandas get destroyed, but as far as I remember, no GCS...
In toto, though, we've seen many more Excelsiors and Mirandas, so we should expect to see more of them get destroyed without really speaking to the comparative survivability either way. Of course, even the biggest detractors of the GCS here have owned up to the seemingly fixed-up GCS' of the war era.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

We have seen more Warbirds destroyed then Galaxy class star ships.
Correct. Your point?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
m52nickerson
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by m52nickerson »

Rochey wrote: Correct. Your point?
How many ships a class losses does hint at that classes overall survivability.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day........beat that man to death........you have an extra fish.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

m52nickerson wrote:How many ships a class losses does hint at that classes overall survivability.
It's not a matter of pure numbers, but of the number of ships lost as a proportion of the total number observed, and the manner in which they were lost. A ship destroyed by massive structural damage inflicted by concentrated and heavy enemy fire does not indicate a design flaw. A ship lost to an exploding fuel pod despite suffering no physical damage whatsoever does indicate a design flaw.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.